• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

Time for smoking outside is getting short.  I did a brisket in the smoker. I did all the smoking outside but when it came time to wrap it, it was getting late so I wrapped it and put it in the refrigerator and finished it in the oven today.  Our local grocery chain, Hen House, has whole briskets for sale occasionally and when they do, their USDA Choice is only $45 to $60.  That is about the same price for Prime brisket at Costco but the two times I got the Choice from Hen House, they turned out juicer and as tender as the Prime from Costco.  I have heard mentioned that their Prime might be dairy cattle, IDK whether or not that makes a difference. I just thought I'd mention it and see if anyone cares to comment.   The one I got for today had a funny shaped round end with a little piece sticking up.  When it got done that piece looked burned but when I cut it off, it was not burned burned.  It was blackened but just under the skin, it was moist and juicy.  I imagine it was like Arthur Bryants original burnt ends.   He'd trim off the blackened ends and put them out for free so people could nibble on them while waiting in line to order.  People started asking other restaurants to put burnt ends on their menu.  The restaurant owners knew there were never going to be enough burnt ends to have as a daily menu item so they came up with what Kansas City's burnt ends are today and not at all like Bryant's was 50 years ago.

My smoker was 9 years old in June.  It will probably last longer than I will.

20210924_143145.jpg

20210924_143204.jpg

20210925_175510.jpg

20210925_175801.jpg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

Time for smoking outside is getting short.  I did a brisket in the smoker. I did all the smoking outside but when it came time to wrap it, it was getting late so I wrapped it and put it in the refrigerator and finished it in the oven today.  Our local grocery chain, Hen House, has whole briskets for sale occasionally and when they do, their USDA Choice is only $45 to $60.  That is about the same price for Prime brisket at Costco but the two times I got the Choice from Hen House, they turned out juicer and as tender as the Prime from Costco.  I have heard mentioned that their Prime might be dairy cattle, IDK whether or not that makes a difference. I just thought I'd mention it and see if anyone cares to comment.   The one I got for today had a funny shaped round end with a little piece sticking up.  When it got done that piece looked burned but when I cut it off, it was not burned burned.  It was blackened but just under the skin, it was moist and juicy.  I imagine it was like Arthur Bryants original burnt ends.   He'd trim off the blackened ends and put them out for free so people could nibble on them while waiting in line to order.  People started asking other restaurants to put burnt ends on their menu.  The restaurant owners knew there were never going to be enough burnt ends to have as a daily menu item so they came up with what Kansas City's burnt ends are today and not at all like Bryant's was 50 years ago.

My smoker is going to be 9 years old in June.  It will probably last longer than I will.

20210924_143145.jpg

20210924_143204.jpg

20210925_175510.jpg

20210925_175801.jpg