• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

With fresh "Lion's Mane" mushrooms (the Chinese name, 猴头菇 (hóu tóu gū) means 'monkey head mushroom'), for breakfast, I like to slice the larger ones and fry the slices, then poach an egg and place it top of the slices. Sort of like poached egg on toast,  but the "bread" being the mushrooms. It only works with fresh 'shrooms which regretably have a short season (in autumn) round these parts. The dried ones are available everywhere, all year round.

They are one of those mushrooms which I feel are as good dried as fresh, but in different ways. Shiitake are the same. In fact, I sometimes use both fresh and dried in the same dish. It's like having two different mushrooms, equally delicious. In fact, with the lion's mane, the dried and fresh versions even look very different.

Lion's Head Mushroom.jpg

Fresh

1530471238_Monkeyheadmushroom.thumb.jpg.0dd2ebe8d61870b4ef78ba1a1bb3c08d.jpg

Dried

liuzhou

liuzhou

With fresh "Lion's Mane" mushrooms (the Chinese name, 猴头菇 (hóu tóu gū) means 'monkey head mushroom, for breakfast, I like to slice the larger ones and fry the slices, then poach an egg and place it top of the slices. Sort of like poached egg on toast,  but the "bread" being the mushrooms. It only works with fresh 'shrooms which regretably have a short season (in autumn) round these parts. The dried ones are available everywhere, all year round.

They are one of those mushrooms which I feel are as good dried as fresh, but in different ways. Shiitake are the same. In fact, I sometimes use both fresh and dried in the same dish. It's like having two different mushrooms, equally delicious. In fact, with the lion's mane, the dried and fresh versions even look very different.

Lion's Head Mushroom.jpg

Fresh

1530471238_Monkeyheadmushroom.thumb.jpg.0dd2ebe8d61870b4ef78ba1a1bb3c08d.jpg

Dried