• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

7 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

All the potatoes here in Costa Rica are hopeless for frying but I finally figured out a way to do it. I cut them in wedges and boil them until they are just about done. I add about half a teaspoon of baking soda to the water. Then I drain them and let them thoroughly dry. I stir fry them in about 2 tablespoons of butter and one tablespoon of oil. Last night, on a hunch, I added a teaspoon of dark soy sauce to the butter and oil and it took them right over the top. Dark and crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and just the right amount of salt. I wish that I had taken a picture.

Par-boiling the  chips is becoming more and more standard thanks to Heston Blumenthal's triple-cooked chips. I've been doing that for decades.

What is butter?

The day I add soy sauce to my fish and chips, please shoot me!

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

All the potatoes here in Costa Rica are hopeless for frying but I finally figured out a way to do it. I cut them in wedges and boil them until they are just about done. I add about half a teaspoon of baking soda to the water. Then I drain them and let them thoroughly dry. I stir fry them in about 2 tablespoons of butter and one tablespoon of oil. Last night, on a hunch, I added a teaspoon of dark soy sauce to the butter and oil and it took them right over the top. Dark and crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and just the right amount of salt. I wish that I had taken a picture.

Par-boiling the  chips is becoming more and more standard thanks to Hestom Blumenthal's triple-cooked chips. I've been doing that for decades.

What is butter?

The day I add soy sauce to my fish and chips, please shoot me!