• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dtremit

dtremit

So I think we are approaching "too much of a good thing" territory — between the last few distributions of our regular CSA, and a root vegetable CSA we signed up for, we are positively drowning in roots. Carrots, beets, turnips, rutabagas, daikon — you name it. (Also have a lot of potatoes, squash, cabbage, and leeks on hand, but those I have a lot more ideas for.)

I feel like my repertoire for a lot of these is really limited; a few go-to dishes, mostly sides, salads, and quick pickles. I found this lovely thread on carrots which should be a help, but really, I could use some suggestions for the other stuff. How do I center these ingredients in a way that really makes them the star of a meal (and gets through them a little faster)?

(The only thing I would probably rule out is juicing; we aren't vegetable juice people.)

I'm particularly struggling with the beets — I love them (cooked, not raw) but I feel like I work through them really slowly.

Here is a picture of roots from our root CSA farm for inspiration.

unnamed-6-scaled.jpg

dtremit

dtremit

So I think we are approaching "too much of a good thing" territory — between the last few distributions of our regular CSA, and a root vegetable CSA we signed up for, we are positively drowning in roots. Carrots, beets, turnips, rutabagas, daikon — you name it. (Also have a lot of potatoes, squash, cabbage, and leeks on hand, but those I have a lot more ideas for.)

I feel like my repertoire for a lot of these is really limited; a few go-to dishes, mostly sides, salads, and quick pickles. I found this lovely thread on carrots which should be a help, but really, I could use some suggestions for the other stuff. How do I center these ingredients in a way that really makes them the star of a meal (and gets through them a little faster)?

I'm particularly struggling with the beets — I love them (cooked, not raw) but I feel like I work through them really slowly.

Here is a picture of roots from our root CSA farm for inspiration.

unnamed-6-scaled.jpg