• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Porridge

shain

How could I have forgotten to add Barley porridge to those I listed in my earlier post.

Hulled barley was roasted in the oven in large batches and stored for later use as a side dish, ground to add to breads, and soaked and cooked for porridge to which pecans and sorghum molasses was added along with butter as it was cooking.  I would have a bowl set in front of me and my grandmother would add some crumbled crisp bacon.  It is delicious.

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Oats were our go-to for decades.

Now I make tender and creamy risotto porridge.

With whatever favorite accompaniments.

ETA: It's real good dressed like rice pudding.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Cross post from the breakfast topic. 

Oatmeal (rolled oats made with water and milk) with peanut butter swirled in, some salt and a bit of sugar. Bananas and toasted walnuts coated (not cooked) in a brown sugar and butter syrup, a bit more salt. Orange zest, nutmeg, cinnamon.

Bananas being the one fresh fruit I actually enjoy in oatmeal.

PXL_20201105_100547783.thumb.jpg.1a09801c5919b7921132c9b2baa06d84.jpg

• Like 3

~ Shai N.

I used to do a farro porridge for  catering on occasion when i wanted a breakfast option that could be vegan at its core then lay out a ton to sweet or savory options to mix in or top with. Really was pretty popular - I could par cook the farro in advance in water then I would boil to the texture I liked in Almond milk as needed, then I would cheat to get the thick porridge texture by adding an 'almond cream' -made by soaking and pureeing almonds in water.  Thats pretty much it. adjust how you like it, but it was good the morning after hard partying on the festival circuit for wealthy clients back in the day (when there were festivals!)

• Like 3

Something inspired by Hobak-juk - Korean pumpkin porridge. I used pumpkin along with whole rice (rather than rice flour). Flavored with brown sugar, some salt and a bit of nutmeg.

Also added adzuki beans cooked with sugar and mochi balls. I also made some adzuki filled mochi for snacking.

PXL_20201120_193502230.jpg

• Like 3

~ Shai N.

• 1 month later...

Recent porridge dishes, posted in other threads.

Red rice porridge with bananas, dates, pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds, both boldly toasted (it needs the almost smokey flavor you get), a touch of rose water and cinnamon - they amp each others floral notes, and less perfumey (a common combination is Moroccan sweets). With the dates and nuts it got some Moroccan charoset notes.

PXL_20201216_103648568.thumb.jpg.5a21aab5645c83c02933110950029702.jpg

Brown rice congee with mushrooms, tofu, eggs, peanuts, scallions and chili oil.

PXL_20201205_135314313.thumb.jpg.575f55b34f94f28a1246186d566db87b.jpg

Seviyan kheer. Hot noodle porridge. Made of toasted vermicelli, milk, milk powder, cream. Flavored with cardamom, rose water, cinnamon, brown sugar. Raisins, almonds, cashew.

PXL_20201208_200504954.thumb.jpg.63fcc7685d909199b7fd0481bb7c688d.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

• 2 years later...

Just spotted this WaPo article and thought I'd add a link here: 7 savory porridge recipes for grits, oats, polenta and more

The linked recipes are for:

Kale and Black-Eyed Peas with Smoky Grits
Congee
Steel-Cut Oats with Kimchi
Padma Lakshmi’s Kichidi
Polenta with Balsamic Scallion Greens
Salmon with Cheesy Fonio Grits
Savory Indian-Style Oats (Oats Upma)

• Like 1