• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gaggia vs Jura coffee/espresso makers

eugenep

I've had my Gaggia for 2.5 years before it broke. I descaled and cleaned the brew group regularly. But the grinder or grind motor got jammed and I couldn't fix it. I bought it on Cooks Illustrated's recommendation. 

I used a Jura at work and liked it and got the home version Jura A1. The price is similar to Gaggia but with less features - namely, it doesn't have a milk frother. 

Overall, the Jura A1 is by far the best coffee maker. The engine is quiet and the cleaning requirement is much less - you just change the filter or pop in cleaning tablets without having to take out the brew group and oil it and brush it like changing oil in a car or something. 

I read the Jura A1 lasts up to 5 years on amazon.com reviews so I'm hoping I could use it for at least that long. The downside of the Jura A1 is that you have to buy a new filter every 2 months at $25 a piece or $150 for a year's supply. You also have to buy cleaning tablets and it looks like there are a lot of fakes being sold on amazon.com (based on amazon reviews). Ultimately, the cleaning materials would equal the cost of the machine $700 - $800 in about 4 years. The work around seems to be to buy non-Jura filters at a lower price but their is the risk of the machine breaking. 

Overall, I'm glad I got the Jura and will likely use a generic filter to save on cleaning supplies. The cost of the machine will be worth it if it lasts at least 5 years - amazing coffee so far.

image.thumb.png.51508818217d303b5c05928ef0dec899.png

image.png.6738d472eb13f8c8e4096f6bd20a0564.png