• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Big Plate Chicken

Big Plate Chicken - 大盘鸡

1591517719_dapanji2019.jpg.b91406bf17c960277739b899cf5f22b5.jpg

This very filling dish of chicken and potato stew is from Xinjiang province in China's far west, although it is said to have been invented by a visitor from Sichuan. In recent years, it has become popular in cities across China, where it is made using a whole chicken which is chopped, with skin and on the bone, into small pieces suitable for easy chopstick handling. If you want to go that way, any Asian market should be able to chop the bird for you. Otherwise you may use boneless chicken thighs instead.

Ingredients

Boneless skinless chicken thighs  6

Light soy sauce

Dark soy sauce

Shaoxing wine

Cornstarch or similar. I use potato starch.

Vegetable oil (not olive oil)

Star anise, 4

Cinnamon, 1 stick

Bay leaves, 5 or 6

Fresh ginger, 6 coin sized slices

Garlic.  5 cloves, roughly chopped

Sichuan peppercorns,  1 tablespoon

Whole dried red chiles,   6 -10  (optional). If you can source the Sichuan chiles known as Facing Heaven Chiles, so much the better.

Potatoes 2 or 3 medium sized. peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces

Carrot. 1,  thinly sliced

Dried wheat noodles.  8 oz. Traditionally, these would be a long, flat thick variety. I've use Italian tagliatelle successfully.    

Red bell pepper. 1 cut into chunks

Green bell pepper, 1 cut into chunks

Salt

Scallion, 2 sliced.

Method

First, cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and marinate in 1 1/2 teaspoons light soy sauce, 3 teaspoons of Shaoxing and 1 1/2 teaspoons of cornstarch. Set aside for about twenty minutes while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.

Heat the wok and add three tablespoons cooking oil. Add the ginger, garlic, star anise, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, Sichuan peppercorns and chiles. Fry on a low heat for a  minute or so. If they look about to burn, splash a little water into your wok. This will lower the temperature slightly. Add the chicken and turn up the heat. Continue frying until the meat is nicely seared, then add the potatoes and carrots. Stir fry a minute more then add 2 teaspoons of the dark soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of the light soy sauce and 2 tablespoons of the Shaoxing wine along with 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium. Cover and cook for around 15 minutes until the potatoes are done.

While the main dish is cooking, cook the noodles separately according to the packet instructions.  Reserve  some of the noodle cooking water and drain.

When the chicken and potatoes are done, you may add a little of the noodle water if the dish appears on the dry side. It should be saucy, but not soupy. Add the bell peppers and cook for three to four minutes more. Add scallions. Check seasoning and add some salt if it needs it. It may not due to the soy sauce and Shaoxing.

Serve on a large plate for everyone to help themselves from. Plate the noodles first, then cover with the meat and potato. Enjoy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• Similar Content

• By shain
      This style of kugel is called "Jerusalem kugel".
      Egg noodles in caramel, cinnamon, ginger, plenty of black pepper. Baked, in a low oven all night long in order to give it this signature brown color and flavor.
      Traditionally made on Friday night and served on Saturday morning. The kugel is best served warm as a warming wintery breakfast, but it can also be served at room temp during warmer months.

Most kugels are cooked with no dairy for kosher reasons, but I much prefer the taste of butter. Sub it with natural oil if desired.
      Raisins can be added if you like. 
      Feeds 8 as a hearty breakfast or much more as a first/last course.
      It's usually made much larger, and you can scale the recipe both up and down with no adjustments.
      400g good quality dry egg noodles or dry egg pasta. I prefer thin noodles, slightly thinner the spaghetti (~3mm). 50g cold butter, cut into pieces 4 eggs 1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon cinnamon 1 flat teaspoon dry ginger, or a full teaspoon if you like more ginger flavor 2 to 3 teaspoons black pepper, ground finely (make sure to use freshly ground pepper) 1 tablespoon milk, cream or water 50g walnuts, roughly chopped 200-250g white sugar (I use about 225g, preferring my kugel not too sweet. you can use up to 300g for a really sweet kugel)
        Pick a somewhat narrow and tall pot that can just hold the cooked noodles/pasta. A cake pan can be used instead, as long as it can be tightly sealed.
        Make sure to slice the butter and keep it cool. Heat oven to 200 degC. Mix together eggs, milk (or cream/water) salt, spices and almonds. Keep refrigerated. Cook noodles in slightly salted water until almost al-dente, drain well. You can cook the pasta in the pot used later for baking. Meanwhile, in a good, wide pan, cook sugar to very dark caramel. I prefer the dry caramel method, but do use wet method if you like it better. When very dark, immediately remove from heat and add butter to cool the caramel and stop it from burning. Add cooked noodles and mix well to coat in caramel. If caramel starts to harden, place pot on medium heat and push the chunks to the bottom until they melt. Let the noodles chill slightly then add egg and nuts mixture. Mix until well combined. if your pot or pan used for baking is not non-stick, then grease it. Pour noodles into pot or pan and slightly flatten the top to look even. If you see any nuts poking above, push them down slightly so that they don't burn. Tightly cover the pot or pan with aluminium foil to keep moisture inside. Cover with a lid and place in hot oven for about 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 100 degC (210 degF) and bake overnight, about 10 hours. To serve, remove foil and invert kugel on a tray. Serve with pickled cucumbers (not everyone likes this combination, but try). Leftovers can be chilled and reheated later (microwave or oven both works, the later might dry it too much if you are not careful). You can also pan fry leftover slices.  

• By missdipsy
      Two of my family members are pescetarian, one of whom is my picky daughter who only likes a few types of fish cooked in very specific ways so to all intents and purposes is mostly vegetarian. Many Chinese soup recipes involve meat or fish, or at least meat broth, so I'd love to find a few more recipes that would suit my whole family (I also don't eat much pork as it doesn't always agree with me, and a lot of soups involve pork so this is also for my benefit!). Vegetarian would be best, or pescetarian soups that are not obviously seafood based (I could get away with sneaking a small amount of dried shrimp in, for instance, but not much more than that!).

Any kind of soup will do, although I'd particularly like some simple recipes that could be served alongside a multi-dish meal. But I'm always interested in new recipes so any good soup recipes would be welcome!

Any suggestions?
    • By Shel_B
      I've been working on this one for a while, and went through three different cocoa powders and three different chocolates.  I settled on Peet's Dutch processed cocoa because it is good quality, not too expensive, and easy to come by.   Peet's has been discontinued and now I'm using Cacao Barry Extra Brute.  Valrhona 71% chocolate from the 3.5-oz bars worked best for me, although the 85% was good, too, but I wanted a less "bitter" taste and didn't want to use more sugar to sweeten or soften the flavor.  If you like a more intense chocolate taste, the 85% will work, and you may not need more sugar.  I weighed the chocolate and found that three squares of the bar equals 1.25-oz.  Using more chocolate may result in a slightly thicker pudding, and therefore less cornstarch may be advisable.

I prefer to use 2% milk for this, but whole milk will be fine if that's your preference.  My goal was to come up with a nice, rich flavor but keep the fat and sugar down as much as possible.  1% milk is not recommended, but it will work, sort of ...

1 teaspoon of espresso powder will be fine, but I preferred a little more kick in this pudding.  I used Medaglia D'oro because it is easy to come by, not too expensive, and it seems to work just fine.  I tried another brand at one point and, frankly, couldn't tell the difference. ETA 0n 7/19/2016:  I now use Trader Joe's 100% Colombian Instant Coffee.  It's less expensive than Medaglia D'oro and I prefer the flavor both in this pudding and for other uses. 

Let me know how you like it ...

Shel’s Simple Old Fashioned Low Fat Chocolate Pudding

2 cups low fat (2%) milk - whole milk is OK
      2 Tbs cornstarch
      3 Tbs sugar
      ¼ tsp Diamond Crystal kosher salt
      2 Tbs good quality Dutch process cocoa
      (1.25-oz 71% Valrhona Chocolate, chopped in small pieces)
      1.5 tsp vanilla extract
      2 tsp instant espresso powder

Heat 2 cups milk in microwave for about two - three minutes depending on power level. Pour ½ cup milk into a small bowl and add the cornstarch, sugar, salt, espresso powder, and cocoa, and stir until well mixed.

Put the remaining 1½ cups milk into a non-reactive saucepan, add the cocoa-milk mixture and the chopped chocolate, and heat on medium stirring frequently, almost constantly, until chocolate is dissolved and the mixture thickens. It should get to be almost lava-like, with an ocassional bursting bubble.

Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes, then add the vanilla extract and stir to incorporate well.

Pour into an appropriately sized bowl, or two to four serving dishes, let cool further, and then cover and refrigerate.

If you don't like a skin on your pudding, cover the pudding with plastic wrap or parchment paper cut to fit the bowl before covering and refrigerating.

Before serving, stir or whisk the pudding.
    • By Tropicalsenior
      Honey Butter Japanese Sweet Potato

I always serve this dish with Tonkatsu. It is not too sweet and the flavors blend perfectly with the Tonkatsu sauce that is served with the pork.

1 sweet potato
      2 tablespoons butter
      2 tablespoons honey
      2 teaspoons soy sauce
      2 tablespoons water
      1 teaspoon black sesame seeds

Wrap the sweet potato in cling wrap and microwave for 3 to 4 minutes.* Cut into 1 1/2 inch thick strips.
      Melt butter in a skillet and cook the sweet potato over medium heat.
      When the potatoes are soft, add the honey, water and soy sauce to the pan. Mix well together and stir just until the liquid starts to turn to a syrup. Top it off with sesame seeds.
      * Note:
      Instead of putting this in the microwave, I cut the potato into wedges and cook it in the instant pot for 2 minutes. This can be done a day ahead of when you need it.
    • By patti
      For non-Louisianans, this dish has nothing to do with actual barbecue.

16 jumbo shrimp (12 per pound, about 1 1/2 pounds), with heads and shells. 
      1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce 
      2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons) 
      2 teaspoons ground black pepper 
      2 teaspoons cracked black pepper 
      2 teaspoons Creole seasoning (Tony’s or other)
      1 teaspoon minced garlic 
      1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cubed 
      French bread as accompaniment 

In a large skillet combine shrimp, Worcestershire, lemon juice, black peppers, Creole seasoning, and garlic and cook over moderately high heat until shrimp turn pink, about 1 minute on each side. Reduce heat to moderate and stir in butter, a few cubes at a time, stirring constantly and adding more only when butter is melted. Remove skillet from heat. Place shrimp in a bowl and pour sauce over top. Serve with French bread for dipping. 
      Yield: 4 appetizers or 2 entrees

Head on shrimp are preferred, as there is so much flavor from the heads. However, de-headed, as pictured, is also good!