• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

13 hours ago, gfron1 said:

I do still want to know what you meant by this. Do you not think their recipes and techniques are good? Authentic? Personalities? I'd like to know because if I'm using them as a source for my learning I want to know what critical lens I should be applying since I don't know any better.

My flippant comment was more in jest than anything else, but yes, you do deserve a more sensible answer.

It seems to me that the Cantonese recipes are authentic, but not so much the others. The Sichuan dishes are all over the place and very American-Chinese slanted The video recipe for laziji is a travesty. Compare it to Fuchsia Dunlop's much more authentic version, for example.

Overall, the channel is better than most, but I really can't recommend any YouTube videos as being a good way to learn. Books such as those by Ms. Dunlop are much better and there is at least some quality control by the publishers. YouTube has none whatsoever - every idiot with a camera and an ego can post any old crap and many do!

If you are interested in more regional Chinese dishes, then Carolyn Phillips' All Under Heaven (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) is a good introduction.

liuzhou

liuzhou

13 hours ago, gfron1 said:

I do still want to know what you meant by this. Do you not think their recipes and techniques are good? Authentic? Personalities? I'd like to know because if I'm using them as a source for my learning I want to know what critical lens I should be applying since I don't know any better.

My flippant comment was more in jest than anything else, but yes, you do deserve a more sensible answer.

It seems to me that the Cantonese recipes are authentic, but not so much the others. The Sichuan dishes are all over the place and very American-Chinese slanted The video recipe for laziji is a travesty. Compare it to Fuchsia Dunlop's much more authentic version, for example.

Overall, the channel is better than most, but I really can't recommend any YouTube videos as being a good way to learn. Books such as those by Ms. Dunlop are much better and there is at least some quality control by the publishers. YouTube has none whatsoever - every idiot with a camera and as ego can post any old crap and many do!

If you are interested in more regional Chinese dishes, then Carolyn Phillips' All Under Heaven (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) is a good introduction.

liuzhou

liuzhou

10 hours ago, gfron1 said:

My flippant comment was more in jest than anything else, but yes, you do deserve a sensible answer.

Overall, the channel is better than most, but I really can't recommend any YouTube videos as being a good way to learn. Books such as those by Ms. Dunlop are much better and there is at least some quality control. If you are interested in more regional Chinese dishes, then Carolyn Phillips' All Under Heaven (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) is a good introduction.

liuzhou

liuzhou

9 hours ago, gfron1 said:

My flippant comment was more in jest than anything else, but yes, you do deserve a sensible answer.

Overall, the channel is better than most, but I really can't recommend any YouTube videos as being a good way to learn. Books such as those by Ms. Dunlop are much better and there is at least some quality control. Iif you are interested in more regional Chinese dishes then Carolyn Phillips' All Under Heaven (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) is a good introduction.