• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

To fix a poor word choice. Then to add a link.

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

I have a question about savoury pies.  When served at our house when I was growing up, they were served hot, with gravy.   But I've seen that pork pies are served cold or room temperature.  Is that ONLY pork pies - or other pies also.  Would it be ok to eat them hot?  Or not.  I'm toying with trying to make a traditional hot water pastry pork pie, but I don't think I'd care for cold pork pie.  

Until I posted here I have never eaten or heard of a hot pork pie. In my opinion it is much more of a terrine than anything else — terrine in a pastry crust.  Terrines are served cold. I would love to get @liuzhou’s take on it. I would expect a slice of pork pie to be served on a plate with an assortment of pickles, perhaps a little mustard. 

Looky what we have here Click

Anna N

Anna N

To fix a poor word choice.

I have a question about savoury pies.  When served at our house when I was growing up, they were served hot, with gravy.   But I've seen that pork pies are served cold or room temperature.  Is that ONLY pork pies - or other pies also.  Would it be ok to eat them hot?  Or not.  I'm toying with trying to make a traditional hot water pastry pork pie, but I don't think I'd care for cold pork pie.  

Until I posted here I have never eaten or heard of a hot pork pie. In my opinion it is much more of a terrine than anything else — terrine in a pastry crust.  Terrines are served cold. I would love to get @liuzhou’s take on it. I would expect a slice of pork pie to be served on a plate with an assortment of pickles, perhaps a little mustard. 

Anna N

Anna N

Until I posted here I have never eaten or heard of a hot pork pie. In my estimation it is much more of a terrine than anything else — terrine in a pastry crust.  Terrines are served cold. I would love to get @liuzhou’s take on it. I would expect a slice of pork pie to be served on a plate with an assortment of pickles, perhaps a little mustard.