• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Easy Crusty Popovers

Tropicalsenior

Easy Crusty Popovers

Yield: 6 popovers

20220426_183931.thumb.jpg.832a70a700bdbf329d0f12377b011a6a.jpg

These are the closest things to foolproof that I have ever made. Just follow a few simple rules.

DO NOT open the oven until done! Beat the batter well until it is thoroughly mixed and make sure that the muffin tins are completely covered with butter.

2 eggs

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 tablespoon butter, melted - divided

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Put 6-cup muffin tin in oven to preheat as well.

Beat eggs and milk together in a bowl with an electric hand mixer or with a wire whisk until thoroughly mixed. Add flour and salt; continue beating into smooth batter. This can be made up to an hour beforehand. Pour into a measuring pitcher.

Put about 3/4 teaspoon butter into each muffin tin and carefully spread butter up sides of each cup. Quickly divide batter among prepared cups.

Bake until popovers are risen well and browned, 30 to 35 minutes. Do not open the oven during baking.

Note: to make cheese popovers, fill the muffin cup about 1/3 full and sprinkle cheddar or Parmesan cheese over the batter and finish filling with the rest of the batter.

For breakfast popovers, add 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 quarter teaspoon cinnamon with the flour. Optional, add 1/4 teaspoon allspice, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, and a pinch of cloves

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had tried to make popovers several times and usually wound up with soggy little lumps. Most of the recipes that I found were unnecessarily complicated or I was told that I needed the special popover mold. Then I found this recipe that assured me that anybody could make popovers. I gave it a try and sure enough it works. I've never had a failure with this and I love to see them pop up in the oven as they're cooking. They always have the perfect buttery custard-like center and the puffy, crispy exterior. And the best part about it is that they are so easy. Only 5 minutes of prep and you have the perfect thing to serve with soup or to cover with gravy from a roast.

• Like 2