• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Concierge Services/Companies

I would be intrerested in hearing about eGullet member experiences with the various "concierge" services that exist throughout the world, Amex Concierge (platinum or black), "Les Concierges",etc. I have had, personally , less than satisfactory experiences with their knowledge in general, and have the impression that they let a lot of concierges based in luxury hotels do all the work for them, then take the credit in front of the client.... Could this be true?

Any other experiences?

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

fresh_a,

The Amex concierge services are horrible. The last time I used them was in 1999.

In 1998, we had confirmed reservations in writing from AMEX at Domaine de Chateauneuf in Nans-les-Pins. I had contacted AMEX one month prior to re-confirm my confirmations. I was told everything was in order. We arrive at Domaine de Chateauneuf and the large iron gate to the property was padlocked with a handwritten note on the gate with the words Morte. My French is good enough to realize that somebody had died. We drove to their golf club and were told that the owner had died, closed the hotel and they could get us a sandwich and maybe find a nearby house who would "rent" us a room for the night.

In 1999, I decided to try AMEX again. The following mistakes were made again with all reservations "confirmed" in writing or by fax.

Rail travel-973 TGV first class from Paris to Macon - not done

Asked for car rental in Macon - not done

Confirmed lunch reservations on Sunday, May 21 at Flor de Lis - restaurant closed for lunch on Sunday

Confirmed reservations at Table de Claude Giraud in Narbonne on Monday, May 22 - restaurant closed on Monday

Confirmed reservations at Le Pont Napoleon on Wednesday, May 24 - the restaurant is closed on Wednesday

Confirmed reservations on Wed,. May 24 at La Campagnette - the restaurant had been closed for one year and all that remained was a vacant lot. (We arrived in the middle of nowhere, starved, and that was it - a vacant lot. We learned later from our hotel that Campagnette had been closed a year.)

At Eugenie-les-Bains asked for dinner reservations May 25, May 26, May 27 - not done

Currently, I use AMEX only for hotel and flight reservations and either do all other arrangements myself or contact the concierge at the hotel I am staying at.

Sounds like they really are consistent..in providing bad service!

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

My AMEX experiences are one reason why I am such a big fan of the hotel concierge service. It is personal, accurate, cordial, swift, sincere and most concierges will go out of their way to make "life" easier. I applaud what you do.

I have only used my premium card concierge services once, and, yes, they did provide a range of dining rooms that minimally fit my request. These results would have probably served a novice traveler adequately; they were better than no referals at all. As Lizziee has suggested, they offer little to anyone who has established other trustworthy sources of travel information.

eGullet member #80.

Sadly, the word "concierge" has been borrowed by a lot of different people , and it's true function and meaning have been somewhat diluted. "Lawnmower Concierge",etc...

blog