• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

shain

shain

I use it quite a lot. It might be somewhat cheesy tasting, in a sense, but as far as I'm concerned if you can taste it, than you used too much.

I use it simplify to add umami to vegetarian food where I don't want to add other ingredients that affect the taste. It's a bit like MSG in that sense. I also use MSG, but I find its flavor notable as well, sometimes more than the yeast. I'll often add a touch of both if I want a lot of natural umami.

Note that it should be cooked to get rid of volatile yeasty aromas.

shain

shain

I use it quite a lot. It might be somewhat cheesy tasting, but as far as I'm concerned, if you can taste it, than you used too much.

I use it simplify to add umami to vegetarian food where I don't want to add other ingredients that affect the taste. It's a bit like MSG in that sense. I also use MSG, but I find its flavor notable as well, sometimes more than the yeast. I'll often add a touch of both if I want a lot of natural umami.

Note that it should be cooked to get rid of volatile yeasty aromas.