• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Porthos

Porthos

7 hours ago, heidih said:

Our pantry is getting over full as the oldsters are staying here for more months and they overshop canned goods and such.

I suspect that your "oldsters" lived through part of the depression and/or WW2. My mother was a young mother during the depression and that fear of running out of food never left her. In her later years she had turned a hall closet into her pantry. Just before she turned 90 she moved from California (she'd lived in CA all her life) to North Carolina to be near her first-born. As a widow she only cooked for herself. When my sweetie and I cleaned out the pantry for her we found so many canned goods that it boggled our minds. As an example there were maybe 15+ cans of fruit cocktail.. Stuff that hadn't expired was packed up for some friends who could use the extra food. We threw some stuff in her trash barrel but knowing she wasn't going to be happy about that we lugged most of the no-longer-consumable stuff home and threw it away there.

We're driving over to Arizona tomorrow, and on Tuesday we will be making our choices for the kitchen cabinets.  One of the things that helped sell us on this house was the walk-in pantry. There is plenty of cabinet space in the kitchen but for us old arthritic types the pantry shelving will help us with access to canned and dry goods more easily. Oh - and the freezer and spare fridge will be right out of the door into the garage. We're only two, but we tend to buy in bulk, but only things that we do use.

Pantry.jpg

Porthos

Porthos

7 hours ago, heidih said:

Our pantry is getting over full as the oldsters are staying here for more months and they overshop canned goods and such.

I suspect that your "oldsters" lived through part of the depression and/or WW2. My mother was a young mother during the depression and that fear of running out of food never left her. In her later years she had turned a hall closet into her pantry. Just before she turned 90 she moved from California (she'd lived in CA all her life) to North Carolina to be near her first-born. As a widow she only cooked for herself. When my sweetie and I cleaned out the pantry for her we found so many canned goods that it boggled our minds. As an example there were maybe 15+ cans of fruit cocktail.. Stuff that hadn't expired was packed up for some friends who could use the extra food. We threw some stuff in her trash barrel but knowing she wasn't going to be happy about that we lugged most of the no-longer-consumable stuff home and threw it away there.

We're driving over to Arizona tomorrow, and on Tuesday we will be making our choices for the kitchen cabinets.  One of the things that helped sell us on this house was the walk-in pantry. There is plenty of cabinet space in the kitchen but for us old arthritic types the pantry shelving will help us with access to canned and dry goods more easily. Oh - and the freezer and spare fridge will be right out of the door in the garage. We're only two, but we tend to buy in bulk, but only things that we do use.

Pantry.jpg