• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Craig E

Craig E

Okay, here's what I came up with after a couple of attempts:

Barcelonnette

• 2 oz blanco tequila (I use El Mayor)
  • 3/4 oz dry vermouth (Dolin)
  • 1/4 oz Amere Sauvage
  • 1/4 oz honey syrup
  • rinse Herbsaint (or absinthe)

Serve in a coupe with a grapefruit twist.

My first go had an ounce of vermouth which was maybe too much, a barspoon of honey syrup which was definitely too little, and fennel bitters instead of the pastis rinse. This is a better balance. The Amere Sauvage, a "savage" gentian Alpine liqueur, is by far the most aggressive flavor but all of the others counter it well, each in its own way. (I would guess Suze would be a sub more likely to have on hand, but I'm unsure about whether/how the proportion would be adjusted for that.) I was thinking about vegetal herbaceous flavors that could be drawn out of the starter ingredients. 

Thanks for the fun challenge!

IMG_5496 1.jpg

Craig E

Craig E

Barcelonnette

• 1/4 oz Amere Sauvage
  • 1/4 oz honey syrup

My first go had an ounce of vermouth which was maybe too much, a barspoon of honey syrup which was definitely too little, and fennel bitters instead of the pastis rinse. This is a better balance. The Amere Sauvage, a "savage" gentian Alpine liqueur, is by far the most aggressive flavor but all of the others counter it well, each in its own way. (I would guess Suze would be a sub more likely to have on hand, but I'm unsure about whether/how the proportion would be adjusted for that.) I was thinking about vegetal herbaceous flavors that could be drawn out of the starter ingredients. 

Thanks for the fun challenge!

IMG_5496 1.jpg

Craig E

Craig E

Barcelonnette

• 1/4 oz Amere Sauvage
  • 1/4 oz honey syrup

IMG_5496 1.jpg