• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

retired baker

retired baker

On 3/25/2020 at 8:26 AM, jedovaty said:

Hi:

Do I need to refrigerate croissant dough between turns if the ambient temperature in my house is low, i.e. 19C (66F) or below?  For example, it is 15C/59F right now in my house.

Rest between turns is important to let the dough "relax", and generally people put the dough in the fridge to keep butter from melting and absorbing into the tough since homes are usually over 22C/70F.  If it's this cold here won't it be better to leave the dough out for the sake of the butter?  Or perhaps it is even too cold for butter to actually get soft enough to roll out?

I may give it try, because last time I had a little difficulty rolling it out smoothly.  The butter cracked and look like a turtle shell under the dough, and I thought I was rushing it, despite waiting 30 minutes or so after pulling dough out of the fridge following a rest.  But now it seems like maybe it's just too cold for the butter to be at the right temp to roll out... hmmm.  My results were still pretty good, maybe smooth butter rolling isn't as crucial as clean edges and proper final proof.

Thanks for your time!

Nope, you can do a straight process at those temps. Same for puff dough.

Chill the dough for 15 minutes before starting and start with cold pounded butter.

If the dough is cool and the butter is cold but malleable you will not have any trouble in a cool kitchen.

Heres 1200 layer puff dough in less than 30 minutes.

Can't be done the youtube experts say,  I agree...they can't do it.

retired baker

retired baker

On 3/25/2020 at 8:26 AM, jedovaty said:

Hi:

Do I need to refrigerate croissant dough between turns if the ambient temperature in my house is low, i.e. 19C (66F) or below?  For example, it is 15C/59F right now in my house.

Rest between turns is important to let the dough "relax", and generally people put the dough in the fridge to keep butter from melting and absorbing into the tough since homes are usually over 22C/70F.  If it's this cold here won't it be better to leave the dough out for the sake of the butter?  Or perhaps it is even too cold for butter to actually get soft enough to roll out?

I may give it try, because last time I had a little difficulty rolling it out smoothly.  The butter cracked and look like a turtle shell under the dough, and I thought I was rushing it, despite waiting 30 minutes or so after pulling dough out of the fridge following a rest.  But now it seems like maybe it's just too cold for the butter to be at the right temp to roll out... hmmm.  My results were still pretty good, maybe smooth butter rolling isn't as crucial as clean edges and proper final proof.

Thanks for your time!

Nope, you can do a straight process at those temps. Same for puff dough.

Chill the dough for 15 minutes before starting and start with cold pounded butter.

If the dough is cool and the butter is cold but malleable you will not have any trouble in a cool kitchen.

Heres 1200 layer puff dough in less than 30 minutes.

Can't be done the youtube experts say, they can't do it.