• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

4 hours ago, IEATRIO said:

What awful advice. Putting to one side that an ice shock allows a cook to much more precisely control the cooking of vegetables by stopping the cooking process than to hope to coast into perfect doneness (good luck doing that with any consistency) the ice shock also helps to trap chlorophyll within the skin by closing pores opened by heat, keeping vegetables green.

We're talking about home cooking here, not prepping greens for 75 meals in a restaurant, or cooking green beans for a catering event of 1,000 people.

And here at home, I'm pretty sure that I precisely control whatever cooking, blanching, shocking I happen to be doing.

weinoo

weinoo

2 hours ago, IEATRIO said:

What awful advice. Putting to one side that an ice shock allows a cook to much more precisely control the cooking of vegetables by stopping the cooking process than to hope to coast into perfect doneness (good luck doing that with any consistency) the ice shock also helps to trap chlorophyll within the skin by closing pores opened by heat, keeping vegetables green.

We're talking about home cooking here, not prepping greens for 75 meals in a restaurant, or cooking green beans for a catering event of 1,000 people.

And here at home, I'm pretty sure that I precisely control whatever cooking, blanching, shocking I happen to be doing.

weinoo

weinoo

2 hours ago, IEATRIO said:

We're talking about home cooking here, not prepping greens for 75 meals.

And here at home, I'm pretty sure that I precisely control whatever cooking, blanching, shocking I happen to be doing.