• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Halibut cheeks

elfin

While in Alaska we bought some halibut cheeks. I broiled them last night in a simple burre-blanc sauce. They were delicious. The consistency was more flakey than a halibut steak. Since I have some more in my freezer (vacumed packed) I thought that something more special can be done with them :rolleyes: . Any suggestions?

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

At Paley's Place here in Portland the cheeks were stuffed into cabbage leaves and served alongside braised oxtail...the chef's notion was to pair the stringy fish (the big cheeks are like scallops in texture) with the stringy meat.

it was very good...

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

• 3 years later...

The halibut is absolutely prime right now - and plentiful. And yes, there are a lot of unsmiling ones right now.

Last night we enjoyed halibut fillets underscored with a light curry sauce finished with heavy cream.

But several times we'll cook cheeks in a brown butter sauce with capers.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Bread your cheeks (Halibut) with honey Panko flakes and fry in a neutral oil. Throw some giant salt cured  capers in at the last monemt and serve with lemon wedges. -Dick

Oh that's brilliant! We tried poaching them in olive oil and some basil but the basil is WAY too strong. We also tried steaming them in a slightly acidic citrus steam bath but the cheeks didn't have much flavour (am i cooking them too much?).

I need to work more with this medium. I know they can be SO good I just need to figure out how!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

While in Alaska we bought some halibut cheeks.  I broiled them last night in a simple burre-blanc sauce.  They were delicious.  The consistency was more flakey than a halibut steak. Since I have some more in my freezer (vacumed packed)  I thought that something  more special can be done with them :rolleyes: .  Any suggestions?

:biggrin: I'm originally from Alaska, and always have my halibut cheeks deep fried in beer batter. Yummy, and a hard habit to break to make them any way else! Dip cheeks in Wondra flour, seasoned with a little Old Bay, and shake off the excess. Then mix Wondra flour and enough warm beer (an ale is good) to make what looks like a pancake batter. Then dip the cheeks into the batter, again shake the excess, and drop in oil at about 350 degrees till golden brown. Serve with homemade roasted onion tartar sauce, or good old Malt Vinegar or Balsamic Vinegar. :wub:

Cheers,

Carolyn

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

J.R.R. Tolkien

coat them with corn starch. deep fry or pan fry. get some garlic and black bean sauce in a pan with some chinese cooking rice wine. bring to a boil and thicken with corn starch. pour over the halibut cheeks

bork bork bork

Halibut cheeks are a family favourite chez nous and make it to the table in a number of guises. The kids love a panko-breaded pan fried version, so long as there is a bowl of tartare sauce on the side. If you keep the cooking time to a minimum, the flesh remains tender and sweet. I treat the adult version a number of ways; evoo-marinated and fire-grilled on a brochette, thin sliced and given a flash meuniere treatment with brown butter, lemon and capers, or, in conjunction with other seafood, matelot style. They perform similarly to monkfish when used this way, absorbing the predominant flavour of say, prawn or lobster, whilst augmenting the textural aspect of the stew. Best of all? - in combination with scallops poached in butter and dunked into a cream saffron sauce. Nirvana!

John

"Venite omnes qui stomacho laboratis et ego restaurabo vos"

While in Alaska we bought some halibut cheeks.  I broiled them last night in a simple burre-blanc sauce.  They were delicious.  The consistency was more flakey than a halibut steak. Since I have some more in my freezer (vacumed packed)  I thought that something  more special can be done with them :rolleyes: .  Any suggestions?

Just received an email from a local restaurant announcing the fresh Alaskan Halibut they've received, and one of the dishes sounded like something you might like:

Scott's Bar and Grill has gone to great trouble to secure a small allotment of fresh Alaskan Halibut Cheeks from Southeast Alaska. We’ll be serving them lightly breaded in Parmesan and Asiago, carefully pan seared golden brown and finished with just a drizzle of White Truffle Oil Beurre Blanc.

Cheers,

Carolyn

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

J.R.R. Tolkien

I have not had the pleasure of halibut cheeks but where I live grouper cheeks, if you can find them or are lucky enough to land a grouper big enough to have some meat in the cheek, are wonderful. To me cheek meat has a texture similar to crab. Flaky, delicate and delicious. I will usually pan fry cheeks. Yummm.

Least we forget: salmon cheeks which are also delicious and can probably only be found with wild fish since farmed seldom get large enough to be worthwhile (they probaby go into a can for cats along with the other waste parts).

Dave

I'd plank them on a cedar or alder plank - get a smoky flavor with them. Add some rum and maple syrup as a glaze, maybe some green onions or ginger and there she be. Yum.

Brian

Brian Misko

House of Q - Competition BBQ

www.houseofq.com

I have tried the following for cod cheeks and I liked it. I think it should work with halibut.

Prepare duck or goose liver mousse or terrine. Slice thinly.

Sear fry the cheeks in butter. Once they have cooled off, serve on top of the sliced mousse or terrine.

Accompany with Gewurtztraminer.

athinaeos

civilization is an everyday affair

the situation is hopeless, but not very serious