• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

caroled

caroled

On 10/4/2021 at 11:55 AM, Kim Shook said:

I have an almost identical recipe of my mom's, but with shrimp.  I haven't had it in at least 10 years, but I remember loving it.  I must sheepishly admit that, made with fresh salmon, I'd probably love your MIL's version, too.  I used to love canned salmon, but find it unpleasantly funky lately.  

Oh, I remember this one well. It was the absolute height of sophistication at any fancy party or wedding party in the 70s and 80s in the south.  Mama made it so often on catering jobs that she could do it blindfolded, only her version had no celery, but finely minced green bell peppers. I haven’t had it in probably 30 years, but I loved it and looked forward to it every time.  I think it’s time to pull this one out of the hat again and make it this holiday season ( although I will be the only one of us that eats it…mama doesn’t care for shrimp, and Kathy and Olivia only like shrimp that is hot…oh well, more for me!)

As for the canned salmon, I’ve always had a fondness for it as well. Love a salmon patty, and once salmon manufacturers started selling it in cans similar to tuna, I started using it to make salad, subbing it for the tuna. Delicious.

What can I say…I’ve been known to revel in my lowbrow trashiness!

caroled

caroled

On 10/4/2021 at 11:55 AM, Kim Shook said:

I have an almost identical recipe of my mom's, but with shrimp.  I haven't had it in at least 10 years, but I remember loving it.  I must sheepishly admit that, made with fresh salmon, I'd probably love your MIL's version, too.  I used to love canned salmon, but find it unpleasantly funky lately.  

Oh, I remember this one well. It was the absolute height of sophistication at any fancy party or wedding party in the 70s and 80s in the south.  Mama made it so often on catering jobs that she could do it blindfolded, only her version had no celery, but finely minced green bell peppers. I haven’t had it in probably 30 years, but I loved it and looked forward to it every time.  I think it’s time to pull this one out of the hat again and make it this holiday season ( although I will be the only one of us that eats it…mama doesn’t care for shrimp, and Kathy and Olivia only like shrimp that is hot…oh well, more for me!)