• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I had a hunch that it was probably Danish because I had seen canned a lot of Danish bacon in the supermarkets in the US about that time. If I remember right, didn't the UK have an epidemic of disease about that time that just about wiped out the pigs in Britain.

I don't recall any outbreak of disease among pigs in the 1960s, nor can I find anything online referring to that. Perhaps you are  thinking of so-called "mad cow" disease, but that was 1980s and as the name suggests affected mainly cattle, but also 177 people died. Later, in the early 2000s, there was an outbreak of foot and mouth disease, but that affected mostly cattle and sheep, although some pigs were involved..

The two largest suppliers of canned bacon seem to have been Yoder's (Ohio - based) and Plumrose (Chicago based, but now owned by JBS in Brazil, who acquired the company in 2017.)

Danish bacon was certainly sold in the UK in the 1960s, but no one I have spoken to recalls canned Danish bacon.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I had a hunch that it was probably Danish because I had seen canned a lot of Danish bacon in the supermarkets in the US about that time. If I remember right, didn't the UK have an epidemic of disease about that time that just about wiped out the pigs in Britain.

I don't recall any outbreak of disease among pigs in the 1960s, nor can I find anything online referringto that. Perhaps you are  thinking of so-called "mad cow" disease, but that was 1980s and as the name suggests affected mainly cattle, but also 177 people died. Later, in the early 2000s, there was an outbreak of foot and mouth disease, but that affected mostly cattle and sheep, although some pigs were involved..

The two largest suppliers of canned bacon seem to have been Yoder's (Ohio - based) and Plumrose (Chicago based, but now owned by JBS in Brazil, who acquired the company in 2017.)

Danish bacon was certainly sold in the UK in the 1960s, but no one I have spoken to recalls canned Danish bacon.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I don't recall any outbreak of disease among pigs in the 1960s. Perhaps you are  thinking of so-called "mad cow" disease, but that was 1980s and as the name suggests affected mainly cattle, but also anumber of people. Later, in the early 2000s, there was an outbreak of foor and mouth disease, but that affected cattle and sheep. No pigs were involved.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I don't recall any outbreak of disease among pigs in the 1960s. Perhaps you are  thinking of so-called "mad cow" disease, but that was 1980s and as the name suggests affected cattle. Later, in the early 2000s, there was an outbreak of foor and mouth disease, but that affected cattle and sheep. No pigs were involved.