• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Dejah

Dejah

On the char siu with country style pork ribs:
My ingredients are as listed. For the 2.4 kg package, I probably used: 1 cup Hoisin sauce, 1/4 cup oyster sauce, splash of soy, Chinese cooking wine, and sesame oil,  1/4 cup sugar, 2 tbsp 5-spice powder, and 1 tbsp red food colouring (optional). Mix well.
I poked the strips of meat with a fork, laid them in a ziplock container and coat each completely. Turn  the meat a couple of times to make sure each is well coated. Sometimes, I put everything in a large ziplock bag for ease of massaging the marinade into the meat!
Heat oven to 400F. Line the bottom tray of a broiler pan with foil. Spray the top pan with Pam (easier to clean after!), and lay the strips down. I cooked these for an hour as they were so close together!  Turn them a couple of times and brush each time with the remaining marinade but not on the last turn (raw meat juice in marinade).
The edges will char but the rest of the meat, depending on how thick they are, will require pretty much the full hour. Brush with honey immediately out of the oven (optional, just my Mom's preference!}
I've tried with higher temps but it smokes up my kitchen!
I used to hang these vertically on the cross piece in my oven so they didn't need to be turned over. Did that too often and it broke.😁
They can also be done in the BBQ and the Big Easy, but it's a bit too chilly at the moment to cook outside!
I keep a batch in the freezer for fried rice, baos, Hot'n'Sour soup, etc. SO handy and much cheaper than buying from a restaurant or BBQ shop (which we don't have in my city)

Dejah

Dejah

On the char siu with country style pork ribs:
My ingredients are as listed. For the 2.4 kg package, I probably used: 1 cup Hoisin sauce, 1/4 cup oyster sauce, splash of soy, Chinese cooking wine, and sesame oil,  1/4 cup sugar, 2 tbsp 5-spice powder, and 1 tbsp red food colouring (optional). Mix well.
I poked the strips of meat with a fork, laid them in a ziplock container and coat each completely. Turn  the meat a couple of times to make sure each is well coated. Sometimes, I put everything in a large ziplock bag for ease of massaging the marinade into the meat!
Heat oven to 400F. Line the bottom tray of a broiler pan with foil. Spray the top pan with Pam (easier to clean after!), and lay the strips down. I cooked these for an hour as they were so close together!  Turn them a couple of times and brush each time with the remaining marinade but not on the last turn (raw meat juice in marinade).
The edges will char but the rest of the meat, depending on how thick they are, will require pretty much the full hour. Brush with honey immediately out of the oven (optional, just my Mom's preference!}
I've tried with higher temps but it smokes up my kitchen!
I used to hang these vertically on the cross piece in my oven so they didn't need to be turned over. Did that too often and it broke.😁
They can also be done in the BBQ and the Big Easy, but it's a bit too chilly at the moment to cook outside!