• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jedovaty

jedovaty

I've used my vitamix for making flours from grains/seeds.  It works very well, just make sure to freeze the grains/seeds if you want a finer flour.  Wheat berries, oats, buckwheat, rice, quinoa, etc.  I've made breads, pancakes, waffles, noodles, etc, with all these.  I've since repurposed my big coffee grinder for this, because I can no longer drink coffee, but the vitamix works just fine and you don't need a fancy flour grinder.

You can also make your own powdered sugar (1-5% starch to sugar)**, pulverize caramel, or break up toasted sugar.  Helps to chill/freeze ingredients first to allow slightly longer blending time for consistently smoother end product, but make sure it's very dry.  Pulverize salt to make a lifetime batch of pickling or popcorn salt.

Pulverize various herbs and spices with salt and dried mushrooms to make costco-sized batches of "umami powder". 

Note that blending salt and dried herbs/spices may slightly fog-up the container in long term.

As others have mentioned, you can make soups.  Additionally, you can make "vegan cream" soups by slowly pouring in olive oil with the blender on max - of course, do this after the soup has already been blended.  This creates an emulsification, and is actually quite good (works fantastic for tomato or asparagus or cauliflower soups).  Other soups that work well are squash soups.  Blend half your soup if doing vege or bean soups.

Make cauliflower "rice": fill vitamix with water and drop in your cauliflower, and pulse a bit, then strain.  Make "whipped" cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes by using steamed cauliflower and garlic with a little steaming water and butter to blend into a mash.

Nut butters work "okay" with the vitamix, but you'll never get them as smooth as with an indian wet grinder.  You can also make stuff like dosa batter, but again, indian wet grinder will work better for this.

It works for hummus and baba ganoush, especially if you are like me and despise cleaning the food processor.  Olive oil emulsifies well in this, too :)

I use my washed hands to get stuff out from around the blades.. very careful not to cut myself.  I've got tiny spatulas from C&B that work well to clean up the sides.

I have both dry and regular containers, and am happy to share test results I did with wheat berries if you are interested.. my conclusion was that the dry container is really not necessary.

As you can see, the vitamix has gotten quite a workout with me!  Hope this is helpful.

** powdered sugar is cheap, but, I do this because the "organic" powdered sugar here contains tapioca starch instead of cornstarch, and I've found it to behave strangely in baked goods...

jedovaty

jedovaty

I've used my vitamix for making flours from grains/seeds.  It works very well, just make sure to freeze the grains/seeds if you want a finer flour.  Wheat berries, oats, buckwheat, rice, quinoa, etc.  I've made breads, pancakes, waffles, noodles, etc, with all these.  I've since repurposed my big coffee grinder for this, because I can no longer drink coffee, but the vitamix works just fine and you don't need a fancy flour grinder.

You can also make your own powdered sugar (1-5% starch to sugar), pulverize caramel, or break up toasted sugar.  Helps to chill/freeze ingredients first to allow slightly longer blending time for consistently smoother end product, but make sure it's very dry.  Pulverize salt to make a lifetime batch of pickling or popcorn salt.

Pulverize various herbs and spices with salt and dried mushrooms to make costco-sized batches of "umami powder". 

Note that blending salt and dried herbs/spices may slightly fog-up the container in long term.

As others have mentioned, you can make soups.  Additionally, you can make "vegan cream" soups by slowly pouring in olive oil with the blender on max - of course, do this after the soup has already been blended.  This creates an emulsification, and is actually quite good (works fantastic for tomato or asparagus or cauliflower soups).  Other soups that work well are squash soups.  Blend half your soup if doing vege or bean soups.

Make cauliflower "rice": fill vitamix with water and drop in your cauliflower, and pulse a bit, then strain.  Make "whipped" cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes by using steamed cauliflower and garlic with a little steaming water and butter to blend into a mash.

Nut butters work "okay" with the vitamix, but you'll never get them as smooth as with an indian wet grinder.  You can also make stuff like dosa batter, but again, indian wet grinder will work better for this.

It works for hummus and baba ganoush, especially if you are like me and despise cleaning the food processor.  Olive oil emulsifies well in this, too :)

I use my washed hands to get stuff out from around the blades.. very careful not to cut myself.  I've got tiny spatulas from C&B that work well to clean up the sides.

I have both dry and regular containers, and am happy to share test results I did with wheat berries if you are interested.. my conclusion was that the dry container is really not necessary.

As you can see, the vitamix has gotten quite a workout with me!  Hope this is helpful.