• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoking Meat

Stone

I just put in a 9.5lb pork butt that I’m preparing for Carnitas tomorrow and Banh mi on Thursday.

Mrs M scored and marinated it, I seared it on all sides on a hot grill and now it’s in my green mountain grills Davy Crockett at 225. Should go about 5 or 6 hours in hickory smoke before I wrap it up and move it to the electric oven until it’s done. I’m expecting at least 10 hours but we’ll see how it goes. 

Love the GMG pellet smokers. 1 degree of control and WiFi/app connected so I can monitor my cook from anywhere. 

5164A616-F2B8-42BF-9FE4-77982C9D7605.jpeg

• Like 8

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

On 8/3/2020 at 8:27 AM, Victual Vignettes said:

I struggled with keeping the temperature as low as I wanted. I ended up cooking a couple of legs and one breast for about 2 hours at 270ish. The meat was a little more cooked than I'd have wanted it if we were just plain eating it then (and as Mgaretz said - the skin was rubber, but that's fine). But it had such an excellent smoky flavor and color. I pulled the meat off for soup, and am currently making a stock with the bones, whole cloves, peppercorns, onion skin, parsley stems, celery tops, etc.  Meat will go back in with roasted mushrooms, cooked wild rice, cream, and fresh aromatics after the stock simmers away and gets skimmed later today. Overall, the turkey parts were a good experiment / opportunity to learn and play with maintaining temp, because it wasn't a travesty if they got a little high. Looking forward to the next project!

If you don’t have one to control the temp. You may be interested in the BBQ Guru...we’ve had ours for years.

https://www.bbqguru.com

• Like 2

11 hours ago, pastameshugana said:

I just put in a 9.5lb pork butt that I’m preparing for Carnitas tomorrow and Banh mi on Thursday.

Mrs M scored and marinated it, I seared it on all sides on a hot grill and now it’s in my green mountain grills Davy Crockett at 225. Should go about 5 or 6 hours in hickory smoke before I wrap it up and move it to the electric oven until it’s done. I’m expecting at least 10 hours but we’ll see how it goes. 

Love the GMG pellet smokers. 1 degree of control and WiFi/app connected so I can monitor my cook from anywhere. 

5164A616-F2B8-42BF-9FE4-77982C9D7605.jpeg

Here’s an update after 12 hours on the GMG, just took it off this morning about 5:30am. It was coming apart in the tongs as I lifted it out. 

F7BDC9EC-FB83-4139-A99B-82421105E00D.jpeg

5B5623E4-0D4F-46D6-800B-1011BC201653.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting