• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The New Essex Market at Essex Crossing

weinoo

The new Essex Market, replacing the old, in the process of being torn down Essex St. Market, is quite wonderful. And 2 minutes from my apartment, which I guess makes me biased. And we now have both this and Trader Joe's within a stone's throw.

I'm a regular for these breads.

RWAGN0c.jpg?2

One of the two rye breads on offer at Pain d'AVignon; this is their caraway rye, while the other is a sourdough dark rye. I like both.

They don't have a slicer, so when I buy a loaf of bread which is going to be used for toast or sandwiches, I slice it all and freeze it when I get home (after eating a few slices with some good salted butter).

Better pix and descriptions here...https://ny.eater.com/2019/5/14/18623011/essex-market-crossing-shopsins-open-photos-lower-east-side-les-nyc

• Like 8

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

12 hours ago, SLB said:

Noted, well.  Thanks!

I mean, I live really far from there, but it's not like I don't make routine pilgrimages to deep Queens.  I'll check it out.

Where are you located, and what do you like in deep Queens?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I live way uptown (you can see Yankee stadium from my east windows). 

I may have overstated the "deep".  I go to Patel Bros.  I go to Corona for tortillas.   **altho -- I admit, one can get really very good and fresh packaged tortillas up here.  But if you want immediately fresh ones . . . .  I found some micro neighborhood of Colombian foods when I was on the hunt for some more of a Colombian bean that I had bought in Pittsburgh.  [Now that I'm in the RG bean club, I don't really branch out to other beans anymore because it's just too many beans for my household.  It's one of the downsides of the club -- I kind of miss the wonder of Goya's aim at micro-neighborhoods]. 

I go to Flushing.  I go to that nabe which is "Little Egypt", I don't actually remember it's map-name.   

Honestly, I think the eating in Queens is mind-boggling.  And mind-bogglingly cheap.  The drinking . . . nah.  But the eating?  I like Queens.  

• Like 1