• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

55 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I like smoked fish in general but am particularly fond of smoked salmon. Mackerel I've never had. Does its reputed oiliness come through after the smoking? What was the texture like?

All those cheeses sound lovely. I had a wonderful time exploring the local cheese selection when I spent 6 weeks living in Yorkshire. Will you be able to take cheese home with you?

The smoked mackerel isn't so oily as the fresh version, not that I mind fresh mackerel. I would describe the texture as firm and flaky without being dry or hard. The ones I bought were simply fish, salt, black pepper and smoke. Some contain colouring and preservatives, so it's worth being careful.

Sadly, I can't take cheese home to China. I could barely take it home from the cheese shop to my mother's place 10 minutes away without eating it all,  never mind 8000 miles!

liuzhou

liuzhou

37 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I like smoked fish in general but am particularly fond of smoked salmon. Mackerel I've never had. Does its reputed oiliness come through after the smoking? What was the texture like?

All those cheeses sound lovely. I had a wonderful time exploring the local cheese selection when I spent 6 weeks living in Yorkshire. Will you be able to take cheese home with you?

The smoked mackerel isn't so oily as the fresh version, not that I mind fresh mackerel. I would describe the texture as firm and flaky without being dry or hard. The ones I bought were simply fish, salt, black pepper and smoke. Some contain colouring and preservatives, so it's worth being careful.

Sadly, I can't take cheese home to China. I could barely take it home fom the cheese shop to my mother's place 10 minutes away without eating it all,  never mind 8000 miles!