• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

I arrived at the birthday venue far too early, but the logistics were that I could either be early or unforgivably late. We all had to be there when my mother arrived.

This means that there may be a decided lack of images of Guinness in this post. I didn't want to be half-cut by the time she arrived, so, to my eternal shame,  I requested an alcohol free drink. They gave me some revolting concoction which they called "non alcoholic cider". Now, in British English, "cider" is apple based and alcoholic. The American term ""Apple Cider" baffles me. This obnoxous "drink" was 90% sugar and 10% cherries. Disgusting. I felt quite nauseous by the time any action happened.

3D4A1092.thumb.jpg.e8255daa040cc0c9bb16105577417e96.jpg

Anyway, I was sitting at the bar of the restaurant, near the door, so I could see everyone who came in. The first thing that confused me was when a gorgeous, mid-twenty year old girl came in, looked at me, screamed and threw herself into my arms. This, I assure you, doesn't happen on a regular basis. This tall, beautiful woman looked vaguely familiar and it clicked that she must be my niece. She is now 27 and I hadn't seen her in 19 years.

Minutes later, her younger sister arrived together with a bunch of children who meant nothing to me. Then the first niece ran out to the car park and dragged her mother, my sister in. I haven't seen her for 19 years, either.  She just stopped dead and stared at me in confusion for what seemed a long time, then ran as fast as she can (not fast at all - she is a large woman) and gave me what is probàbly the biggest hug she ever gave me.

Next was my daughter, along with her two daughters and with whom I've been in constant contact on Facebook, but hadn't seen for 12 years. Almost finally, my youngest brother's wife and his daughters and son were there.

The scene was set. All we were waiting for was the star of the show.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I arrived at the birthday venue far too early, but the logistics were that I could either be early or unforgivably late. We all had to be there when my mother arrived.

This means that there may be a decided lack of images of Guinness in this post. I didn't want to be half-cut by the time she arrived, so, to my eternal shame,  I requested an alcohol free drink. They gave me some revolting concoction which they called "non alcoholic cider". Now, in British English, "cider" is apple based and alcoholic. The American term ""Apple Cider" baffles me. This obnoxous "drink" was 90% sugar and 10% cherries. Disgusting. I felt quite nauseous by the time any action happened.

Anyway, I was sitting at the bar of the restaurant, near the door, so I could see everyone who came in. The first thing that confused me was when a gorgeous, mid-twenty year old girl came in, looked at me, screamed and threw herself into my arms. This, I assure you, doesn't happen on a regular basis. This tall, beautiful woman looked vaguely familiar and it clicked that she must be my niece. She is now 27 and I hadn't seen her in 19 years.

Minutes later, her younger sister arrived together with a bunch of children who meant nothing to me. Then the first niece ran out to the car park and dragged her mother, my sister in. I haven't seen her for 19 years, either.  She just stopped dead and stared at me in confusion for what seemed a long time, then ran as fast as she can (not fast at all - she is a large woman) and gave me what is probàbly the biggest hug she ever gave me.

Next was my daughter, along with her two daughters and with whom I've been in constant contact on Facebook, but hadn't seen for 12 years. Almost finally, my youngest brother's wife and his daughters and son were there.

The scene was set. All we were for waiting for was the star of the show.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Anyway, I was sitting at the bar of the restaurant, near the door, so I could see everyone who came in. The first thing that confused me was a gorgeous, mid-twenty year old girl came in, looked at me, screamed and threw herself into my arms. This, I assure you, doesn't happen on a regular basis. This tall, beautiful woman looked vaguely familiar and it clicked that she must be my niece. She is now 27 and I hadn't seen her in 19 years.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Anyway, I was sitting at the bar of the restaurant, near the door, so I could see everyone who came in. The first thing that confused me was a young, mid-twenty year old girl who came in and looked at me, screamed and threw herself into my arms. This, I assure you, doesn't happen on a regular basis. This tall, beautiful woman looked vaguely familiar and it clicked that she must be my niece. She is now 27 and I hadn't seen her in 19 years.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Anyway, I was sitting at the bar of the restaurant, near the door, so I could see everyone who came in. The first thing that confused me was a young mid-twenty year old girl who came in and looked me, screamed and threw herself into my arms. This, I assure you, doesn't happen on a regular basis. This tall, beautiful woman looked vaguely familiar and it clicked that she must be my niece. She is now 27 and I hadn't seen her in 19 years.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Anyway, I was sitting at the bar of the restaurant, near the door, so I could see everyone who came in. The first thing that confused me was a young mid-twenty year old girl who came in and looked me, screamed and threw herself into my arms. This, I assure you, doesn't happen on a regular basis. This tall, beautiful woman looked vaguely familiar and it clicked that she must be my niece. She is now 27 and I hadn't seen her in 19 years.

Next was my daughter, one of only two people who did know I'd be there, along with her two daughters and with whom I've been in constant contact on Facebook, but hadn't seen for 12 years. Almost finally my youngest brother's wife and his daughters and son were there.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Next was my daughter, one of only two people who did know I'd be there, along with her two daughters and with whom I've been in constant contact on Facebook, but hadn't seen for 12 years. Almost finally my younger brother's wife and his daughters and son were there.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Next was my daughter, one of only two people who did know I'd be there, along with her two daughters and with whom I've been in constant contact on Facebook, but hadn't seen for 12 years. Almost finally my younger brother's wife and his daughter and children were there.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Next was my daughter, one of only two people who did know I'd be there, along with her two daughters and with whom I've been in constant contact on Facebook, but hadn't seen for 12 years. Almost finally my younger brother, his wife and his daughter and children were there.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Anyway, I was sitting at the bar of the restaurant, near the door, so I could see everyone who came in. The first thing that confused me was a young mid-twenty year old girl who came in and looked me, screamed and threw herself into my arms. This, I assure you, doesn't happen on a regular basis. This tall, beautiful woman looked vaguely familiar and it clicked that she must be my niece. She is now 27 and I hadn't seen her 19 years.

Next was my daughter, one of only two people who did know I'd be there along with her two daughters and with whom I've been in constant contact on Facebook, but hadn't seen for 12 years. Almost finally my younger brother, his wife and his daughter and children were there.