• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

paulraphael

paulraphael

44 minutes ago, boilsover said:

Sure, I get that; pork matters, too.  But are you ever in doubt that a 0.05 C discernment error could result in salmonella poisoning or trichinosis?  Isn't this like some car maker claiming to have a speedometer that is accurate out to 4 decimal places?

No one is going to buy the thing because it's got an extra decimal point of precision. The value of the thing is that it's built to handle more use and abuse than a consumer version. Details like extra precision just tell a buyer that the company's sweating details and using high-quality parts. 

As far as Poly Science goes, I'd be a bit more specific and suggest that they're overpriced by the current standards of the culinary market—which is a rapidly changing one. Their prices are completely in line with other lab equipment makers (which is their back story) and also in line with the culinary market a dozen years ago (when they were the only game in town). Their problem is that is that they haven't adapted as quickly as Anova.

Edited to add: we won't really know that PS is overpriced in the pro circulator market until the Anova has had a chance to prove itself. I suspect PS won't be in trouble unless they sit on their hands for another year ... and the Anova turns out to be as burly as promised. 

paulraphael

paulraphael

34 minutes ago, boilsover said:

Sure, I get that; pork matters, too.  But are you ever in doubt that a 0.05 C discernment error could result in salmonella poisoning or trichinosis?  Isn't this like some car maker claiming to have a speedometer that is accurate out to 4 decimal places?

No one is going to buy the thing because it's got an extra decimal point of precision. The value of the thing is that it's built to handle more use and abuse than a consumer version. Details like extra precision just tell a buyer that the company's sweating details and using high-quality parts. 

As far as Poly Science goes, I'd be a bit more specific and suggest that they're overpriced by the current standards of the culinary market—which is a rapidly changing one. Their prices are completely in line with other lab equipment makers (which is their back story) and also in line with the culinary market a dozen years ago (when they were the only game in town). Their problem is that is that they haven't adapted as quickly as Anova.