• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktail experiments

JAZ

I've had the week off from my "real" job and have been working on some some course outlines, which since I teach classes on cocktail parties, involves new ideas for cocktails. So far two experiements stand out.

2 oz. light rum

Juice of half a lime

Juice of half a blood orange

half oz triple sec

Beautiful color, as well as a nice balance of sweet and tart. Not terribly complex; over ice and with a splash of soda I imagine it would be a great poolside drink.

2 oz. vodka

Juice of half a lemon

half oz. simple syrup

Big dash bitters

If you're thinking this sounds like a lemon drop with bitters, that's exactly what it is. The bitters turn it into something much more interesting but not too esoteric. Nice pink color too -- looks like a Jasmine.

Now back to work.

Janet

• 1 month later...

2 oz. vodka

Juice of half a lemon

half oz. simple syrup

Big dash bitters

i ordered this cocktail last night (i asked the bartender for a "lemon drop, not too sweet, with bitters"). thanks jaz, it was delicious! i was worried that it would be too sweet but the bitters really balanced out the sugar. the drink had a somewhat smoky, slightly medicinal undertone that i really liked. and it was a lovely color! this drink will join my usual rotation (these days: vodka gimlets and slightly dirty sapphire martinis).

• 2 weeks later...

Necessity being the mother of invention, I was trying to figure out something to do with a leftover bottle of vanilla vodka that was given to me. Not being a sweet drink fan, I had pretty much dispaired of finding a use for it.

Then I mixed it about half and half with orange juice (Tropicana pasteurized not-from concentrate), shook it vigorously with ice and poured it into a chilled cocktail glass. It tasted exactly like a Creamsicle (the old ice cream treat), and even had a creamy mouth feel to add to the effect.

Now, I have to say it's still not my style of drink, but if you like dessert-type drinks, you might like this. I imagine it could be a big favorite with college kids.

PS. Glad you liked the lemon drop drink, cew.

Necessity being the mother of invention, I was trying to figure out something to do with a leftover bottle of vanilla vodka that was given to me. Not being a sweet drink fan, I had pretty much dispaired of finding a use for it.

JAZ:

The vanilla vodka makes a pretty tasty Vanilla Cosmopolitan if you're fond of the usual recipe. I find that fresh lime juice and just a tad bit of Triple Sec (or Cointreau if you're feeling large) makes the best cosmos. And it's definitely a more adult cocktail.

Black & White (like the milkshake) Martini can be tasty too., although more of a dessert drink. A splash of Godiva chocolate liqueur and the vanilla vodka works well. Also falls into the "amateurs"/college kids sweet "girlie" drinks category, but they're quite popular at one of my bars. :cool:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol