• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fifth Floor Wine List

cabrales

I'd appreciate members' input on the following selected items from the Fifth Floor wine list, which I believe is not available online. Input on the Condrieu and Corton Charlemagne half-bottles would be particularly appreciated.

Part A -- 1/2 bottles

Veuve-Clicquot $38 (not a bad restaurant price)

Corton Charlemagne, Bouchard 2000, $90

Condrieu Vielles Vignes "Les Chaillets" 1999 $65

Haut Brion (red) 1999 $150

Lafite Rothschild 1999 $160

Part B -- Full bottles

Raveneau, Vaillons 1999 $135

Roulet, Les Tillets 2000 $100

Leflaive, Puligny-Montrachet 2000 $109

Ramonet, Chassagne Montrachet Morgeot 2000 $118

Ramonet Chassagne Montrachet Boudriette 2000 $116

Corton Charlemagne, Bonneau de Martray

1985 -- $325; 1988 $350; 1990 $295

Mortet Gevrey-Chambertin, Au Velle 2000 $109

I'd appreciate members' input on the following selected items from the Fifth Floor wine list, which I believe is not available online.  Input on the Condrieu and Corton Charlemagne half-bottles would be particularly appreciated.

Part A -- 1/2 bottles

Veuve-Clicquot $38 (not a bad restaurant price)

Corton Charlemagne, Bouchard 2000, $90

Condrieu Vielles Vignes "Les Chaillets" 1999 $65

Haut Brion (red) 1999 $150

Lafite Rothschild 1999 $160

Part B -- Full bottles

Raveneau, Vaillons 1999 $135

Roulet, Les Tillets 2000 $100

Leflaive, Puligny-Montrachet 2000 $109

Ramonet, Chassagne Montrachet Morgeot 2000 $118

Ramonet Chassagne Montrachet Boudriette 2000 $116

Corton Charlemagne, Bonneau de Martray

1985 -- $325; 1988 $350; 1990 $295

Mortet Gevrey-Chambertin, Au Velle 2000 $109

Armed with my limited knowledge

Halves -

My only recent Condrieu was a 99 Robert Niero - ripe and luscious with that bitter edge.

No experience with the 2000 Corton Charlemagne

WS gave it a thumbs up

Winery: Bouchard Père & Fils

Wine: Corton-Charlemagne 2000

Score: 94

Very creamy, refined Chardonnay, this is full of chalky, minerally character. Full-bodied, with wonderful harmony, offering vanilla beans, pear tart and toasted oak character. Silky finish, a caressing wine. Drink now through 2010.

The Paulliacs seem much too young

Wholes

Raveneau - just a nice wine at a horrible price

Every 2000 Puligny-Montrachet I've enjoyed has been bright and crisp with some more meaty and sweet than others

Ramonet makes some the most consistently good Chassagne Montrachet - It's a name I go for at the wine store always.

Bonneau de Martay - I believe them to be all outstanding wines to cellar - needing 10-15 years to fully mature.

I haven't had any 2000 Gevrey-Chambertins

Corton Charlemagne really requires age in my experience - recently tasted bottles from Latour and Bonneau du Martray from the late eighties were just entering their prime - so I'd be inclined to stay away from the 2000 Bouchard. I tend to enjoy wines on the young side, but my recollection of the few young Corton Charlemagne's I've tasted is that they tend to be kind of monolithic and dull (even good producers and good vintages). I don't know anything specific about the Condrieu, but it might be a better choice based on general principles at this point in time.