• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 1/27/2019 at 6:24 AM, SusieQ said:

Thank you, liuzhou! So to use, you toast everything and then grind everything into powder, is that right? I've done further research and have found sites that say to discard the black seeds. Do you think this is because of regional differences? 

Yes. I toast them lightly then grind. I too have seen mention of discarding the black seeds, but never met anyone who does so.

ETA: That said, the peppercorns I get here are probably better quality and fresher than what you get in the USA. I see very few black seeds.

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 1/27/2019 at 6:24 AM, SusieQ said:

Thank you, liuzhou! So to use, you toast everything and then grind everything into powder, is that right? I've done further research and have found sites that say to discard the black seeds. Do you think this is because of regional differences? 

Yes. I toast them lightly then grind. I too have seen mention of discarding the black seeds, but never met anyone who does so.

ETA: That said, the peppercorns I get here are probably better quality and fresher than what you get in the USA.

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, SusieQ said: