• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tuber magnatum

Tuber magnatum

3 hours ago, EatingBen said:

...I use the same technique unless I'm using a blender of some kind but even then I'll use prehydrated. 

But when using it, use a small rubber (or silicon) spatula and a small amount of what ever liquid you want to mix it in in a small bowl to help soften the gel and make it easier to work into the larger batch. Very much like corn flour and you beat/mush it together to great a thinner mix that is far far easier to add to whatever else your wanting and it avoids a lot of bubbles...

Thanks for the info.  Can I ask, is the pre-hydrated ratio the same, 640ml of water mixed with 27gms xanthan?  And how small / big amount of "goop" would you use for example with 250ml of liquid?  Also, does heating help?

Tuber magnatum

Tuber magnatum

...I use the same technique unless I'm using a blender of some kind but even then I'll use prehydrated. 

But when using it, use a small rubber (or silicon) spatula and a small amount of what ever liquid you want to mix it in in a small bowl to help soften the gel and make it easier to work into the larger batch. Very much like corn flour and you beat/mush it together to great a thinner mix that is far far easier to add to whatever else your wanting and it avoids a lot of bubbles...

Thanks for the info.  Can I ask, is the pre-hydrated ratio the same, 640ml of water mixed with 27gms xanthan?  And how small / big amount of "goop" would you use for example 250ml of liquid?  Also, does heating help?

Tuber magnatum

Tuber magnatum

Thanks for the info.  Can I ask, is the pre-hydrated ratio the same, 640ml of water mixed with 27gms xanthan?  And how small / big amount of "goop" would you use for example 250ml of liquid?