• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ProfessionalHobbit

ProfessionalHobbit

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

The recipe linked for pork shoulder (picnic) indicates this:

Totally different than cooking your shoulder for 11 hours at low temp, no?

Not that it's any of your business, but here is the backstory since you pointed it out:

Quotes from a PMed conversation on Facebook:

Hey Peter, for the pork shoulder for your pernil recipe, is it with bone or is it boneless? Just checking

always bone in....

and always with the skin attached.

one of mine

that cap is the chiccharone...we fight over it..

so it looks like we're going to have a 9 lb. pork shoulder with bone

based on what I was told at the market
so according to your recipe, is it 1 hour at 400 F, 2 hours at 375 F, then 3 hours covered?
since 45 minutes x 9 comes out to 405 minutes, and 405 minutes divided by 60 is 6 and 3/4 hours
anyway, let me know. we're making it this weekend for an Oscar dinner party

for Pernil to fall apart...it cooks long..you can even do 12 hours at 200....generally i leave it in the oven overhightafter the cooking is over....and in the morning pull it...that's key, don't slice it,, it's pulled...

I had forgotten that only on eGullet do you get criticized by people who you don't know for posting about something you made. Gee, thanks.

Oh, BTW, that's the author of the recipe I linked to above who says you can do it at 200 F for 12 hours. Many thanks! 

ProfessionalHobbit

ProfessionalHobbit

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

The recipe linked for pork shoulder (picnic) indicates this:

Totally different than cooking your shoulder for 11 hours at low temp, no?

Not that it's any of your business, but here is the backstory since you pointed it out:

Quotes from a PMed conversation on Facebook:

Hey Peter, for the pork shoulder for your pernil recipe, is it with bone or is it boneless? Just checking

always bone in....

and always with the skin attached.

one of mine

that cap is the chiccharone...we fight over it..

so it looks like we're going to have a 9 lb. pork shoulder with bone

based on what I was told at the market
so according to your recipe, is it 1 hour at 400 F, 2 hours at 375 F, then 3 hours covered?
since 45 minutes x 9 comes out to 405 minutes, and 405 minutes divided by 60 is 6 and 3/4 hours
anyway, let me know. we're making it this weekend for an Oscar dinner party

for Pernil to fall apart...it cooks long..you can even do 12 hours at 200....generally i leave it in the oven overhightafter the cooking is over....and in the morning pull it...that's key, don't slice it,, it's pulled...

I had forgotten that only on eGullet do you get criticized by people who you don't know for posting about something you made. Gee, thanks.