• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

"The crux of this problem is a brand called White Lily, whose name and logo is familiar to virtually all southerners but foreign to most people outside the region."

What a bullshit article!!!

I live in semi-rural upstate New York.

It's a depressed and depressing area! LOL

There isn't much here!

I can buy all the White Lily flour I'd ever want, if I did want it, just 2 miles away!

OMG! Many decades before White Lily flour was known here, my paternal grandmother was baking EXCELLENT biscuits from soft wheat flour in the mountains of north-central Pennsylvania!!!

I can remember my grand-aunt, who was an excellent cook and baker in her own right, saying that nobody could make a biscuit, pancake or pie crust as well or as good as Luella—my grandmother!

It's NOT just a Southern thing!!!

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

"The crux of this problem is a brand called White Lily, whose name and logo is familiar to virtually all southerners but foreign to most people outside the region."

What a bullshit article!!!

I live in semi-rural upstate New York.

It's a depressing area! LOL

There isn't much here!

I can buy all the White Lily flour I'd ever want, if I did want it, just 2 miles away!

OMG! Many decades before White Lily flour was known here, my paternal grandmother was baking EXCELLENT biscuits from soft wheat flour in the mountains of north-central Pennsylvania!!!

I can remember my grand-aunt, who was an excellent cook and baker in her own right, saying that nobody could make a biscuit, pancake or pie crust as well or as good as Luella—my grandmother!

It's NOT just a Southern thing!!!