• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ratio of cinnamon to sugar in recipe

drhowarddrfine

I had an apple pancake recipe that just needed a little something to make it great and I thought I'd add some cinnamon but had no idea how much to try as a first guess. Just as Rhulman says there are ratios between ingredients in many basic dishes, is there a ratio or method to make a good first guess as to how much cinnamon to add to a recipe?

In this case, the recipe called for 3 tablespoons of sugar and I found 2 teaspoons cinnamon fit  the bill. That's about 4 parts to 1 if that's the ratio but it might just be coincidence. But should such a ratio be up against sugar in the case of baking in general?

It's kind of difficult to calculate because different batches of spice may have fluctuating amounts of flavor. Also, I don't think (in a pancake recipe) that sugar is the correct ingredient to base the cinnamon flavor against. I think the fat and flour are more significant in that they can mute flavors. Not to mention interaction with add-in items, like the apples in your case. If someone subbed peaches for the apples, they'd probably want a different amount of cinnamon. Then, there's personal taste to factor in. Some people like a very pronounced cinnamon flavor, others want more of a hint. For me, 2 teaspoons of cinnamon in a batch of pancakes using  10oz/285g flour would be way too much, even if one were to add 50% apple.

Overall, IMO, this is one of the real downsides of Ruhlman publishing such a highly flawed book. (look around for critical reviews) He tries to shoehorn a lot of things into his 'beautiful' ratios and magical charts, and they simply do not work in real life. In a few instances, primarily in the baking world, there are some viable ratios. But overall, IMO, publishing that book was a big mistake. (my undergraduate background is in mathematics) More often than not, a cook is not served by his line of thinking.

That said, I'd explore a tiny pinch of nutmeg instead of cinnamon and let the apple flavor itself shine through. But, that's just me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, heidih said:

Since I am home baking I just go by smell and taste. As noted cinnamon can vary in strength. I have rarely overdone as it is a forgiving spice.

I have some of the Frontier organic Vietnamese cinnamon that can blow your head off, spicy and very "sharp" flavor.

I also have some of the Frontier, organic, fair trade CEYLON cinnamon that has wonderful flavor, quite sweet and is terrific in custards, puddings, etc.  It has a component that is almost like cardamom. Very aromatic but not sharp.  

I use a blend of the two - 1 part Viet to 2 parts Ceylon  in my cinnamon rolls.  

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett