• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

1 hour ago, jrshaul said:

A family member is ape for pistachios, and Trader Joe's now stocks raw shelled pistachios at reasonable rates. Making homemade pistachio paste is simple enough, but what do I do with it? Something stiff enough to be hand-dipped in tempered chocolates would be preferable - I lack molds (for now.)

I was hoping to mix it with confectioners' sugar to get something approximating a peanut butter cup, but no dice. Maybe mix the paste with some sort of stiff fondant? a 1:1 to 1:2 ratio of pistachios to sugar seems about right.

I do one part soft white fondant with 2 parts peanut butter and some salt for PB cup centers - perhaps something similar?

Don't over mix or it gets too crumbly.

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

1 hour ago, jrshaul said:

A family member is ape for pistachios, and Trader Joe's now stocks raw shelled pistachios at reasonable rates. Making homemade pistachio paste is simple enough, but what do I do with it? Something stiff enough to be hand-dipped in tempered chocolates would be preferable - I lack molds (for now.)

I was hoping to mix it with confectioners' sugar to get something approximating a peanut butter cup, but no dice. Maybe mix the paste with some sort of stiff fondant? a 1:1 to 1:2 ratio of pistachios to sugar seems about right.

I do one part soft white fondant with 2 parts peanut butter and some salt for PB cup centers - perhaps something similar?