• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

30 minutes ago, SLB said:

I should do better -- I admit, I'm not that concerned about pesticides, but I definitely do not want e.coli. 

e. coli in vegetables can't necessarily be washed off.  If it's in the water it gets into the plant cells.  As in the baby spinach-related outbreak 10 years ago, cooking thoroughly does kill e.coli but washing alone did not - all that baby spinach was supposedly triple-washed and ready to eat!

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

3 minutes ago, SLB said:

I should do better -- I admit, I'm not that concerned about pesticides, but I definitely do not want e.coli. 

e. coli in vegetables can't necessarily be washed off.  If it's in the water it gets into the plant cells.  As in the baby spinach-related outbreak 10 years ago, cooking thoroughly does kill e.coli but washing alone did not