• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

I came across a company that reminded me of this post.  They're not making couverture exactly, but they are making truffles by combining cacao powder and cacao butter with other ingredients.  They are based on an island near Seattle that is a hippie enclave, so while they could get any organic, non-gmo, ethical, vegan, soy-free etc chocolate they want, they don't.  I think combining cacao butter and powders makes it sound more like health food.  If you use cacao powder it's a super-food, but if you use chocolate that's candy and candy is poison.* Or something? I know there are "chocolate" recipes floating around paleo, raw, and other special diet forums that usually involve agave syrup and coconut oil and other "healthy" trending ingredients.  Here's their ingredients page https://www.themightytruffle.com/ingredients-c21e4

So yes, some people do choose not to use prepared couverture even though they could, and at least OP is not alone.

* I don't even like calling my products candy, it sounds cheap and for children.  Confections are high quality treats for adults. :)

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

I came across a company that reminded me of this post.  They're not making couverture exactly, but they are making truffles by combining cacao powder and cacao butter with other ingredients.  They are based on an island near Seattle that is a hippie enclave, so while they could get any organic, non-gmo, ethical, vegan, soy-free etc chocolate they want, they don't.  I think combining cacao butter and powders makes it sound more like health food.  If you use cacao powder it's a super-food, but if you use chocolate that's candy and candy is poison.* Or something? I know there are "chocolate" recipes floating around paleo, raw, and other special diet forums that usually involve agave syrup and coconut oil and other "healthy" trending ingredients.  Here's their ingredients page https://www.themightytruffle.com/ingredients-c21e4

So yes, some people do choose not to use prepared couverture even though they could.  Not my thing, but at least OP is not alone.

* I don't even like calling my products candy, it sounds cheap and for children.  Confections are high quality treats for adults. :)