• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barbancourt White

dwarnier

Hi - I've had an interest in dark/aged rums for some time - my favourites being Saint James Hors d'Age, Zacapa, AH Reiise, Barrilito 3 star, Tortuga 12yr and Pampero to name but a few. I decided to try a few white rums (all I have at the moment is CJ Wray), mainly for mixing and/or infusing with vanilla for a vanilla daiquiri. I bought Barbancourt White as I like their 3 and 5 star aged rums, but found the white to taste and smell, well....a little bit "off". Could I have a bad bottle, do I have bad taste, or is this a characteristic of their double distillation technique?

Cheers!

Dan

Unlike some white rums which are aged, carbon filtered and then bottled. To my knowledge Barbancourt White is relatively young.

If you are looking for a good white rum try Barcelo Gran Blanc or Brugal White or Flor de Cana Extra White. Cruzan white is also aged at least 2 years.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.