• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Chocolot

Chocolot

You are actually talking two different caramels. The caramelizing sugar one is exactly that-caramelizing sugar. The second method is actually a Maillard caramel-you are caramelizing the protein in the dairy. You get different flavor profiles from each. In my experience, you have to cook the first method to a higher temp to get it to “stand up”. For a sauce or a pipe able caramel, I use the caramelized sugar method. For a stand up caramel, I use the Maillard. Just personal preference. Remember you have to adjust final temp for your altitude.

Chocolot

Chocolot

You are actually talking two different caramels. The caramelizing sugar one is exactly that-caramelizing sugar. The second method is actually a Maillard caramel-you are caramelizing the protein in the dairy. You get different flavor profiles from each. In my experience, you have to cook the first method to a higher temp to get it to “stand up”. For a sauce or a pipe able caramel, I use the caramelized sugar method. For a stand up caramel, I use the Maillard. Just personal preference. Remember you have to adjust final temp for your altitude.

image.png

Chocolot

Chocolot

image.png