• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

HungryChris

HungryChris

I have been looking for a good source of guanciale, which I believe is this same pork jowl, but is  not smoked, but rather cured like pancetta. I first had it in a few dishes of various pastas Amatriciana that were suddenly everywhere on menus in Italy, I believe in tribute to the town that had been recently ravaged by earthquakes just prior to our last visit, and loved it. It is much more tender than pancetta and I think that pasta carbonara would greatly benefit by it's use in place of pancetta as well. Amazon has some, but with mixed reviews.

HC

HungryChris

HungryChris

I have been looking for a good source of guanciale, which I believe is this same pork jowl, but is  not smoked, but rather cured like pancetta. I had a few dishes of various pastas Amatriciana that were suddenly everywhere on menus in Italy, I believe in tribute to the town that had been recently ravaged by earthquakes just prior to our last visit. It is much more tender than pancetta and I think that pasta carbonara would greatly benefit by it's use in place of pancetta as well. Amazon has some, but with mixed reviews.

HC