• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Rajala

Rajala

Spelling/grammar

The only AW meter I've seen that requires a computer (desktop, tablet etc) is AquaLab 3. The unit itself doesn't even have a display. The reason? Meter wants to move to SaaS, so they can continue to invoice long after you've bought your unit.

I mean, it's a really nice piece of equipment. I got a quote for like 7000 EUR for it, where AquaLab 4 (which is the one I currently have) was like 10000 EUR. I think it's even more as of today. But that unit doesn't need a monthly fee.

You can also look at Novasina, something like https://www.novasina.ch/produkt/labtouch-aw/

I think that one is 5000 EUR or so, but it uses a different way to read/measure the AW with some sensors that will need to be changed. How often? I'm not sure. I would say the most important thing is to check which accuracy the meter has. If it can give you a result which is +-0,02, something you measure that say 0,85 might as well be 0,87 for the worst. The latest I heard while discussing food safety with a professor (I really did, haha) is that staphylococci can thrive and multiple at as low as 0,83-0,84. So to be extra safe, 0,85 should be a thing of the past.

Rajala

Rajala

The only AW meter I've seen that requires a computer (desktop, tablet etc) is AquaLab 3. The unit itself doesn't even have a display. The reason? Meter wants to move to SaaS, so they can continue to invoice long after you've bought your unit.

I mean, it's a really nice piece of equipment. I got a quote for like 7000 EUR for it, where AquaLab 4 (which is the one I currently have) was like 10000 EUR. I think it's even more as of today. But that unit doesn't need a monthly fee.

You can also look at Novasina, something like https://www.novasina.ch/produkt/labtouch-aw/

I think that one is 5000 EUR or so, but it uses a different way to read/measure the AW with some sensors that will need to be changed. How often? I'm not sure. I would say the most important thing is to check which accuracy the meter have. If it can give you a result which is +-0,02, something you measure that say 0,85 might as well be 0,87 for the worst. The latest I head while discussing food safety with a professor (I really did, haha) is that staphylococci can thrive and multiple at as low as 0,83-0,84. So to be extra safe, 0,85 should be a thing of the past.