• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Pastrypastmidnight

Pastrypastmidnight

2 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

I’d be interested to know how Dulcey and zephyr caramel compare side by side. I haven’t tried the zephyr caramel yet. I did try some Felchlin Bionda blond but found it much sweeter than Dulcey           

Caveat: my Dulcey bar is a little old—I’ve been savoring it for a while. The Dulcey is smoother and the caramel flavor is more subtle. It’s definitely more of a caramelized white chocolate flavor. The Zephyr is a strong caramel flavor. Like burst of caramel and butter hitting your palate. It’s a little bit gritty. With my samples, the Dulcey was slower to release flavor, but that might have to do with the age. 

I first tasted Dulcey a year ago and I was blown away by chocolate that tastes so much like caramel. The Zephyr makes it seem a little bland and more white chocolate-y. 

The Dulcey tastes sweeter to me—the Zephyr tastes more of butter with the caramelized sugar flavor as well. Which is funny because my Dulcey lists butter as an ingredient but my Zephyr Caramel doesn’t. Zephyr specifies that the sugar is caramelized—I wonder if that has something to do with the slight grittiness. 

Dulcey is 32% cocoa butter, Zephyr is 35.6%. 

Pastrypastmidnight

Pastrypastmidnight

39 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

I’d be interested to know how Dulcey and zephyr caramel compare side by side. I haven’t tried the zephyr caramel yet. I did try some Felchlin Bionda blond but found it much sweeter than Dulcey           

Caveat: my Dulcey bar is a little old—I’ve been savoring it for a while. The Dulcey is smoother and the caramel flavor is more subtle. It’s definitely more of a caramelized white chocolate flavor. The Zephyr is a strong caramel flavor. Like burst of caramel and butter hitting your palate. It’s a little bit gritty. With my samples, the Dulcey was slower to release flavor, but that might have to do with the age. 

I first tasted Dulcey a year ago and I was blown away by chocolate that tastes so much like caramel. The Zephyr makes it seem a little bland and more white chocolate-y. 

The Dulcey tastes sweeter to me—the Zephyr tastes more of butter with the caramelized sugar flavor as well. Which is funny because my Dulcey lists butter but my Zephyr Caramel doesn’t. Zephyr specifies that the sugar is caramelized—I wonder if that has something to do with the slight grittiness. 

Dulcey is 32% cocoa butter, Zephyr is 35.6%.