• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

paulraphael

paulraphael

On 3/15/2018 at 6:34 PM, PassionateAmateur said:

Ooo--Newkirk Plaza's just one subway stop way!  Thanks so much, I'll hit Coffee Mob this weekend.

Did you ever make it in? They're still my favorite coffee shop in the city. Buck's been doing more blends lately, while my favorites are the single origins. He does blends because most of his customers buy milk drinks, and he can get a better balance for those with a blend. 

The blends still make a pretty great espresso. Usually he does just two coffees ... a Central American and and East African. He has personal relationships with most of the farmers. 

These coffees have really spoiled me. In the last year I've had decent espressos at Café Grumpy and 3rd Rail, but everywhere else in Manhattan has ranged from passable to disaster.

Edited to add: if you're buying beans, he sells them all as single origins.

paulraphael

paulraphael

On 3/15/2018 at 6:34 PM, PassionateAmateur said:

Ooo--Newkirk Plaza's just one subway stop way!  Thanks so much, I'll hit Coffee Mob this weekend.

Did you ever make it in? They're still my favorite coffee shop in the city. Buck's been doing more blends lately, while my favorites are the single origins. He does blends because most of his customers buy milk drinks, and he can get a better balance for those with a blend. 

The blends still make a pretty great espresso. Usually he does just two coffees ... a Central American and and East African. He has personal relationships with most of the farmers. 

These coffees have really spoiled me. In the last year I've had decent espressos at Café Grumpy and 3rd Rail, but everywhere else in Manhattan has ranged from passable to disaster.