• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

IndyRob

IndyRob

It seems to me that there are two ways to go.  First, a compendium of simple recipes (say, The Joy of Cooking), or something that will actually teach them the whys and wherefores.  For the latter I would suggest Alton Brown's I'm Only Here For the Food.  His few pages on roasting meat (for example) and how the heat actually penetrates will automatically make you a better cook if that's something you didn't already know.

It all depends on whether you think the recipient will sit down and read the book, or simply use it as a reference when the need arises.

IndyRob

IndyRob

It seems to me that there are two ways to go.  First, a compendium of simple recipes (say, The Joy of Cooking) or something that will actually teach them the whys and wherefores.  For the latter I would suggest Alton Brown's I'm Only Here For the Food.  His few pages on roasting meat (for example) and how the heat actually penetrates will automatically make you a better cook if that's something you didn't already know.

It all depends on whether you think the recipient will sit down and read the book, or simply use it as a reference when the need arises.