• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

Yes, with technology as it is now, you can get every recipe on line and Jaques Pepin is a great teacher.  My first cookbook was  The James Beard Cookbook in paperback. I used it until it started falling apart and then got another one in hard cover.  By the time I lost it in a house fire, it was out of print and there were no computers with online selling, so the next two were James Beard's American Cookery and Jaques Pepin's la Technique.  I think the early James Beard cookbook is somewhat dated now in that some of the peripheral information is no longer relevant.    

PS When my son left home and moved to Seattle in the '90's, I gave him How To Cook Everything, a Henkel chef and paring knife set and some measuring cups and spoons. 

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

Yes, with technology as it is now, you can get every recipe on line and Jaques Pepin is a great teacher.  My first cookbook was  The James Beard Cookbook in paperback. I used it until it started falling apart and then got another one in hard cover.  By the time I lost it in a house fire, it was out of print and there were no computers with online selling, so the next two were James Beard's American Cookery and Jaques Pepin's la Technique.  I think the early James Beard cookbook is somewhat dated now in that some of the peripheral information is no longer relevant.    

PS When my son left home and moved to Seattle, I gave him How To Cook Everything, a Henkel chef and paring knife set and some measuring cups and spoons. 

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

Yes, with technology now days, you can get every recipe on line and Jaques Pepin is a great teacher.  My first cookbook was  The James Beard Cookbook in paperback. I used it until it started falling apart and then got another one in hard cover.  By the time I lost it in a house fire, it was out of print and there were no computers with online selling, so the next two were James Beard's American Cookery and Jaques Pepin's la Technique.  I think the early James Beard cookbook is somewhat dated now in that some of the peripheral information is no longer relevant.