• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

I'm ready for another round of that pistachio butter so I can make the beet slaw again.  That's one of my favorite combinations of flavors and textures in the book. 

3 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

I was surprised when looking the recipe up on Eat Your Books a moment ago to note that this does not seem to be the consensus opinion... a couple people commented that they didn't like the vinegar addition, or that it required agrodolce. I couldn't disagree more.

I used a regular vinegar when I made this but I've since purchased the Katz vinegars the author recommends.  Made from late-harvest grapes, they have a bit more sweetness but the level of acidity (5.8% for the zin and 5.5% for the sauv blanc) are on a par with other vinegars. It will likely add a touch of sweetness but I don't think that will detract from the dish.  We'll see.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

I'm ready for another round of that pistachio butter so I can make the beet slaw again.  That's one of my favorite combination of flavors and textures in the book. 

3 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

I was surprised when looking the recipe up on Eat Your Books a moment ago to note that this does not seem to be the consensus opinion... a couple people commented that they didn't like the vinegar addition, or that it required agrodolce. I couldn't disagree more.

I used a regular vinegar when I made this but I've since purchased the Katz vinegars the author recommends.  Made from late-harvest grapes, they have a bit more sweetness but the level of acidity (5.8% for the zin and 5.5% for the sauv blanc) are on a par with other vinegars. It will likely add a touch of sweetness but I don't think that will detract from the dish.  We'll see.