• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

shain

shain

I think that I'm on to something.

Took a pita bread from my favorite bakery. Very fluffy with an elastic, well gelatinised crumb. Filled it with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and basil + some salt. Then heat it all up (covered in a moist towel) until the cheese melted. Served with some OO for dipping.

What I got was in a way closer to the "Neapolitan pizza ideal" than any pizza I've made. The interior crumb soaked the cheese and tomato juices and was reminiscent of a pizza's top layer. The pocket kept the cheese hot and prevented it from drying and solidifying.

IMG_20181006_211309.jpgIMG_20181006_211322.jpg

shain

shain

I think that I'm on to something.

Took a pita bread from my favorite bakery. Very fluffy with an elastic, well gelatinised crumb. Filled it with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and basil + some salt. Then heat it all up (covered in a moist towel) until the cheese melted. Served with some OO for dipping.

What I got was in a way closer to the "Neapolitan pizza ideal" than any pizza I've made. The interior crumb soaked the cheese and tomato juices and was reminiscent of a pizza's top layer. The pocket kept the cheese hot and prevented it from drying and solidifying.

IMG_20181006_211309.jpg

IMG_20181006_211322.jpg