• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Got the day wrong and the number may have changed.

On Thursday next, two (or maybe three) young Chinese friends are coming to see me. They have never been to my city before and very politely asked me to entertain them for the day, which I am more than happy to do.  Apart from visiting some must-see spots in town, they have also asked that

a) Take them to the best place for the local, legendary speciality,- luosifen or snail noodles, for lunch

b)  Cook them dinner.

Of course I am happy to do so, but they have made a few specific requests.

i) They want to taste and perhaps learn the art of poached eggs. Poached eggs are unknown to most Chinese people and they barely believe it's possible. My friends just saw a picture of one I made a few months back.

ii) They want raw oysters with lemon juice. This is particularly brave. Most locals consider eating anything raw utterly foolhardy, but raw oysters are beyond comprehension! I mentioned a while back that that was the only sensible way to eat them and they thought I was joking, but finally realised I was serious. So, bless them, they have decided to try.

iii) They want a real hamburger and fries as opposed to a McD's

iv) They want some Sichuan food

Now, I'm comfortable with all the above, but together? Poached egg, raw oysters, burger, fries and mapo tofu, anyone?

I'm going to have to put my thinking head on. In the meantime, I am still eating.

Tonight, I messed about and came up with a sort of ravioli which would have every Italian mama rolling in her grave or send her there if she hadn't already departed. A somewhat Chinese stuffing of pork, shiitake and garlic chives.

rav0.thumb.jpg.72fa6170331cfb533e4c7d50c5aaa780.jpg

rav1.thumb.jpg.79f4e21daff51d00ebb195837b983840.jpg

I served these (and more) with a long slow-cooked fresh tomato sauce. I totally forgot to photograph the finished dish. Too busy thinking about poached eggs with oysters.

Then,

suannai.thumb.jpg.1d419ac3e37bd2133400012b581162e6.jpg

Mulberries with home made yoghurt. I may well serve my friends that, too. They have no idea that yoghurt isn't thin, sweet industrial effluent.

liuzhou

liuzhou

On Wednesday next, two young Chinese friends are coming to see me. They have never been to my city before and very politely asked me to entertain them for the day, which I am more than happy to do.  Apart from visiting some must-see spots in town, they have also asked that

a) Take them to the best place for the local, legendary speciality,- luosifen or snail noodles, for lunch

b)  Cook them dinner.

i) They want to taste and perhaps learn the art of poached eggs. Poached eggs are unknown to most Chinese people and they barely believe it's possible. My friends just saw a picture of one I made a few months back.

ii) They want raw oysters with lemon juice. This is particularly brave. Most locals consider eating anything raw utterly foolhardy, but raw oysters are beyond comprehension! I mentioned a while back that that was the only sensible way to eat them and they thought I was joking, but finally realised I was serious. So, bless them, they have decided to try.

Now, I'm comfortable with all the above, but together? Poached egg, raw oysters, burger, fries and mapo tofu, anyone?

I'm going to have to put my thinking head on. In the meantime, I am still eating.

Tonight, I messed about and came up with a sort of ravioli which would have every Italian mama rolling in her grave or send her there if she hadn't already departed. A somewhat Chinese stuffing of pork, shiitake and garlic chives.

I served these (and more) with a long slow-cooked fresh tomato sauce. I totally forgot to photograph the finished dish. Too busy thinking about poached eggs with oysters.

Then,

Mulberries with home made yoghurt. I may well serve my friends that, too. They have no idea that yoghurt isn't thin, sweet industrial effluent.

liuzhou

liuzhou

On Wednesday next, two young Chinese friends are coming to see me. They have never been to my city before and very politely asked me to entertain them for the day, which I am more than happy to do.  Apart from visiting some must-see spots in town, they have also asked that

b)  Cook them dinner.

Tonight, I messed about and came up with a sort of ravioli which would have every Italian mama rolling in her grave or send her there if she hadn't yet departed. A somewhat Chinese stuffing of pork, shiitake and garlic chives.

Then,

liuzhou

liuzhou

b)  Cook them dinner.

ii) They want raw oysters with lemon juice. This is particularly brave. Most locals consider eating anything raw utterly foolardy, but raw oysters are beyond comprehension! I mentioned a while back that that was the only sensible way to eat them and they thought I was joking, but finally realised I was serious. So, bless them, they have decided to try.

iv)They want some Sichuan food

Now, I'm comfortable with al the above, but together? Poached egg, raw oysters, burger, fries and mapo tofu, anyone?

Tonight, I messed about and came up with a sort of ravioli which would have every Italian mama rolling in her grave or send her there if she hadn't yet arrived. A somewhat Chinese stuffing of pork, shiitake and garlic chives.

I served these (and more) with a long slow-cooked fresh tomato sauce. I totally forgot to photograph the finished dish.

Then,