• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

HungryChris

HungryChris

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

If that link takes me to that salad, I can't read.😐

Suffice it to say that Hughies was a renowned local restaurant, opened in the seventies by a retired local boxing legend, Hugh Devlin. It was a mecca for garlic lovers. The boxing glove shaped menus had a note at the bottom of the first page: "All our dishes contain garlic, unless requested otherwise". Hughies was famous for it's Love Salad, a pretty simple salad that consisted of cubed iceberg lettuce dressed in a heavily  garlic laden Italian dressing with chunks of tomato, strips of cooked salami, provolone cheese, topped with a copious amount of grated parmesan cheese and served in a wooden bowl. One of the favorite dinners there for a garlic lover would be a Love Salad with garlic bread and shrimp scampi. Countless local articles in newspapers raved about the Hughie's Love Salad. Sadly, a controversial eminent domain land dispute closed and tore down the restaurant for an enterprise that was never fully realized. The recent movie, 'The Little Pink House' documents that dispute with the true story of a nearby homeowner who was struggling to put her life back together after a divorce, and refused to give up.  

HC

HungryChris

HungryChris

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Suffice it to say that Hughies was a renowned local restaurant, opened in the seventies by a retired local boxing legend, Hugh Devlin. It was a mecca for garlic lovers. The boxing glove shaped menus had a note at the bottom of the first page: "All our dishes contain garlic, unless requested otherwise". Hughies was famous for it's Love Salad, a pretty simple salad that consisted of cubed iceberg lettuce dressed in a heavily  garlic laden Italian dressing with chunks of tomato, strips of cooked salami, provolone cheese, topped with a copious amount of grated parmesan cheese and served in a wooden bowl. One of the favorite dinners there for a garlic lover would be a Love Salad with garlic bread and shrimp scampi. Countless local articles in newspapers raved about the Hughie's Love Salad. Sadly, a controversial eminent domain land dispute closed and tore down the restaurant for an enterprise that was never fully realized. The recent movie, 'The Little Pink House' documents that dispute with the true story of a nearby homeowner who refused to give up.  

HC

HungryChris

HungryChris

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Suffice it to say that Hughies was a renowned local restaurant, opened in the seventies by a retired local boxing legend, Hugh Devlin. It was a mecca for garlic lovers. The boxing glove shaped menus had a note at the bottom of the first page: "All our dishes contain garlic, unless requested otherwise". Hughies was famous for it's Love Salad, a pretty simple salad that consisted of cubed iceberg lettuce dressed in a heavily  garlic laden Italian dressing with chunks of tomato, strips of cooked salami, provolone cheese, topped with a copious amount of grated parmesan cheese and served in a wooden bowl. One of the favorite dinners there for a garlic lover would be a Love Salad with garlic bread and shrimp scampi. Countless local articles in newspapers raved about the Hughie's Love Salad. Sadly, a controversial eminent domain land dispute closed and tore down the restaurant for an enterprise that was never fully realized. The recent movie, 'The Little Pink House' documents that dispute with the story of a nearby homeowner who refused to give up.  

HC