• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

10 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@liuzhou Is lettuce easily available where you are?

Yes, every market, supermarket and restaurant has it, although the locals usually cook it. As do I sometimes.

What do you wash it with? 

Tap water.

The local water is fine. At least, I've never had a problem with it. I don't drink it, though. Some people (not locals) use bleach solutions or sterilising kits designed for babies' milk bottles. Totally unnecessary.  But I'm just talking about where I am.

As you say, Vietnam (and other SE Asian countries) do eat raw vegetation and happily wash it in the local public supply.

In 22 years in China, the only time I got food poisoning was in a Western restaurant in Xi'an.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Yes, every market, supermarket and restaurant has it, although the locals usually cook it. As do I sometimes.

Tap water.

The local water is fine. At least, I've never had a problem with it. I don't drink it, though. Some people (not locals) use bleach solutions of sterilising kits designed for babies' milk bottles. Totally unnecessary.  But I'm just talking about where I am.

As you say, Vietnam (and other SE Asian countries) do eat raw vegetation and happily wash it in the local public supply.

In 22 years in China, the only time I got food poisoning was in a Western restaurant in Xi'an.

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 minute ago, KennethT said:

3 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Tap water.

The local water is fine. At least, I've never had a problem with it. I don't drink it, though. Some people (not locals) use bleach solutions of sterilising kits designed for babies' milk bottles. Totally unnecessary.  But I'm just talking about where I am.