• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

clarity

@Smokeydoke The recipe was a video but here is what I wrote down

Alton Brown Baby Back Ribs 

oven method

RUB
8 parts light brown sugar
3 parts Kosher salt
1 part Chili powder
1 black pepper
1cayenne
1 jalapeño shake
1 old bay
1 dried thyme
1 onion powder

shake generously on both sides of baby back ribs laid on heavy duty foil, close up and refrigerate at least 1 1/2 hours.

Make liquid

1 C. White wine
2 T. white vinegar
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
2 T. honey
2 Cloves mashed and chopped

Pour half liquid  into each foil wrapped rib packet, close back up and bake @ 225º 2 1/2 hours.  Drain liquid into sauce pan. (1 1/2C.) Heat on high for 5 to 10 minutes until it thickens. Paint on ribs and run under broiler for 30 seconds.  Serve.

I reduced the liquid by at least 2/3 and it did not thicken. I added some red BBQ sauce to thicken it enough to stay on the ribs while under the broiler.

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

@Smokeydoke The recipe was a video but here is what I wrote down

Alton Brown Baby Back Ribs 

oven method

RUB
8 parts light brown sugar
3 parts Kosher salt
1 part Chili powder
1 black pepper
1cayenne
1 jalapeño shake
1 old bay
1 dried thyme
1 onion powder

shake generously on both sides of baby back ribs laid on heavy duty foil, close up and refrigerate at least 1 1/2 hours.

Make liquid

1 C. White wine
2 T. white vinegar
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
2 T. honey
2 Cloves mashed and chopped

Pour half liquid  into each rib and bake @ 225º 2 1/2 hours.  Drain liquid into sauce pan. (1 1/2C.) Heat on high for 5 to 10 minutes until it thickens. Paint on ribs and run under broiler for 30 seconds.  Serve.

I reduced the liquid by at least 2/3 and it did not thicken. I added some red BBQ sauce to thicken it enough to stay on the ribs while under the broiler.